Amp for an Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 or 12.1d

Username: Hopkins007

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 2
I'm trying to decide whether I should run a 12.1 at 4 ohms or a 12.1d at 2 ohms. I've narrowed it down to a few amps for each choice, but am not sure which would provide me with the best sound quality and value. It will be in a 1cf sealed enclosure in a 2003 monte carlo ss with the stock radio, alt., etc. so i'm not sure if it will be at 12.5v or 14.4v?

My choices are
At 4 ohms:
MTX 801D~$245 ebay
Kicker kx600.1~$260

At 2 ohms:
MTX 421D~$140
Alpine MRP-M350~$145
Kicker kx400.1~$190
JBL CS200.1~$135

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2825
how about an interfire IB2900C amp, 225 tiems 2 at 4 ohms or 550 watts rms times 1 mono at 4 or 2 ohms 225 shiped lol

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2533
wow thats a good deal sub!

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 3
I want to stick with class d amps

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2831
that is a class d amp isnt it

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 4
no....AB

http://www.interfireaudio.com/products_ampli_ib2.htm

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2837
lol YESA, nowonder i love that amp so much! god i dont want to sell it now lol

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 5
no one would buy it even if you did

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2840
whys that?

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 6
if it wasn't garbage you wouldn't be begging to get it sold.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2842
im not begging to get it sold, i just have no need for it, click on my name and see what all i have, everything is in working order and in close to mint condition, this amp right now is powering my 15 inch eclipse ti and for your knowldge yesterday hit 146.4 dbs, seems liek garbage doesnt it

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 7
I know you've had experience with several amps/brands and you wouldn't have recommended something that has no significant advantage over the amps I listed above if you weren't begging. I asked for advice on sound quality; spl doesn't interest me as much. I was just trying to narrow some choices down since I'm new to this.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2854
ok well, for sq, better build quality, usualyl resulting in better sq, would be the kicker and jbl amps, personally i would take the jbl amp over most of them, but may i ask what ur budget is

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 8
Budget doesn't really matter too much...like around $240 or less. I'd just hate to pay more for something the 421d could do for $140 with no significant loss in quality. Also, with more watts I'd also need to invest in a cap. The spl doesn't matter since the sub will be facing forward with the rear seat down. I've been told that using the speaker level (hi level) inputs instead of RCA will drastically reduce the quality anyway and I'd be wasting my money getting detailed on expensive amps...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2858
well, u wont need a cap, the rule is 1 farad per 1000 watts, and adding a cap without an upgrade HO alt will hurt even more, id go with the jbl or kicker personalyl

Baltimore, Maryland USA

Post Number: 9
There's also the 200w stock amp that came with the car. Does that rule go by the watts actually being used or what the amp is. Like with the 801d, would it be going by the 800w rated or 400w used?

Also..how much does the frequency response of the amp matter? Most are rated 20hz+ and the sub goes to 18....the jbl is one of the few that goes down to 10. It's only 2hz that I can't hear, but can most of the 20hz+ amps send the 18hz signal to the sub anyway?

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 126
so how bad would an mtx be in the lineup for him?

goon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us