Orion Maxx Bass or other Bass Processor?

Bronze Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 47
Has anyone had any experience with Orions MaxxBass or other Bass Processors?(www.orioncaraudio.com/signal/default.asp)

Does a Bass Processor enhance or detract from clean bass?

What are the pros and cons?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7623
look at the audiocontrol epicenter if you want a bass enhancer.
personally I just prefer to use a good pre-amp like the Orion 300PRQ or 300PSW

Bronze Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 48
i have been looking at an AudioControl 4xs or 6xs.
Do they make anything that combines the bass enhancer and crossover?

i am trying to solve an issue:
When i have my four subs run by four amps (one 10 DVC @ 2ohm to one 300w RMS RF 301m) the output had more of an impact.

Now i have all four subs @ 1.3ohm on an Orion 2500d
I can tell a difference in the bass...i have adjusted everything and spoke with DEI with no luck...

i am replace alternator up to 205amp (original 90amp, upgraded to 125amp)...

i have been directed toward a bass processor...

what are you thoughts?

Does AudioControl make a Bass processor and crossover in one (or anyone else)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7643
no, no combined units. you'd neex the AC crossover and the epicenter.

what sort of enclosures are these subs in?
how much airspace per sub?
was that 301m a class D amp or class AB?

Bronze Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 51
the Rockford Fosgate Punch 301 mono block (300w RMS/900w peak @ 2ohm) is a class A/B (i believe).

The subs are T81044a MTX DVC 400w RMS / 800w Peak.

Then enclosure is sealed .50 cubic feet each sub. This is the minimum listed on the MTX chart (max being 1.00cf.

I have been thinking about adding .75lb of fiber fill in the enclosures as i was told this would sound like a .65-.70cf enclosure which should provide a tighter bass which is why i am looking at a bass manipulator.

My goal is tight bass to accomodate 138-142 beats per minute.
i do not want ghetto rap one note bass...thats why i chose 10s over 12s+

What are your thoughts?

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1014
Going from class A/B to D might of been part of it, plus I'd imagine that different amps have different frequency responses. I switched from a PPI pro MOS 2050(400 watts @ 2ohm bridged class A/B) to an Xtant 1001dx(500 watts @ 2ohm class D). I got a good deal more volume from the Xtant, but I think the PPI was a bit snappier at moderate to high levels. Different amps can clip at different levels and frequencies as well. I really think when people describe how an amp sounds(warm, clinical, smooth, etc.) they're really describing the frequency response as well as the type of distortion thats produced. Maybe that new amp is actually cleaner at certain frequencies and those frequencies aren't as noticeable now.

Bottom line is different amps can sound different, lol.

If I remember correctly you had a 1/2 F cap wired real close to each Fosgate. Are you still using them? and how do you have em wired? Just curious. Probably wouldn't make a difference sound-wise.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 52
Fishy
you are correct; i do have four .5 farad Rockford Fosgate capacitors.
When the RF 301m's were installed each amp had one .5 cap.
With the Orion 2500d i have the four caps wired in two pair (because the 2500d requires two power and ground connections). Each power connection has two .5 farad caps.

This weekend i plan on installing the fiber fill and rewiring from a 1ohm load to a 2ohm load to see if that would make a difference.

I am also going to reseal the boxes as i did not since buying them from the stereo shop.

(other sound contributors:
4volt outs from Alpine 9833
0 gauge from battery to distrubution block
2nd 0 gauge ground for battery.
4 gauge for all electrical connections other than above.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1023
If you have two of each wired in series then you basically have 1 farad total with twice the rated voltage and unfortunately twice the ESR. Twice the ESR and half the capacitance means that your caps actually are only capable of producing one fourth the current/voltage drop as the way you had it before.

If you have 2 each wired in series I'd try wiring them in parallel (2 on each +/-) real close to the amp for 4 times the current capability and 2 farads of energy storage.

I dunno, I like the pics I remember seeing of your old system. Have you changed enclosures since then? That could make a big difference in the way it sounds.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us