Opinions?

Username: Lotus

Post Number: 1
I got a '94 buick cent. and I was running a 1500rms amp and 2 700rms 12's, with a 1.2 farad cap on my stock alternator, and experiencing major power loss, so I was going to replace the alt. with a 160A ho alt., and a yellowtop deep-cycle battery, and redo the wiring; would this setup work efficiently?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2515
very nice, should maintain well

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7667
yes the alternator and deep cycle battery will actually help the charging system. the capacitor doesn't benefit your problem in any way.

Username: Lotus

Post Number: 2
yeah, actually I'm pretty sure the capacitor worsened the situation.. due to the alternator working overtime to charge it

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1483
Yup, you might actually need a little bigger alternator if you can get one.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7695
1500 watts RMS, class D amp, that'll draw ~150A of current at peak output by itself.
add that to what your alternator already puts out for the car itself, and you have an idea for the alternator ya need.
of course, your car may not need all of what the stock alternator can supply so there's some buffer area there. usually 20% is a safe guess. Also not running the amp at full volume will use considerably less current so 160A may be fine for ya.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us