Reaching full excursion

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 51
K, i've been watching my v-max's play for a bit and they're supposed to get 20mm of x-max...which i know they're not getting
im thinking they're getting like 8-10 at the most
after that they start to clip/etc from my amp
they're both being underpowere though by a lot
im assuming this is why...(like 180watts underpowered or more, im not sure, haha. Its a crappy 4channel like 60@4ohmsx4 profile amp. I got it bridged)
am i correct? or is somethin wrong with my subs?
cause i realise 20mm is a long ways...so im guessing it'll take the full 300rms

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2456
no, its VERY hard to get full xmax out of any sub

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1358
if you can tho look out...the more you get them to move the better

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1359
find out what frequency your hitting best at and well see what we can do to make them hit harder with that power

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 52
Speakers usually under-perform and distort because of under-amplification.

Clipping happens when an amp is recieving feed back, or because its circuitry does not have symmetrical control from 0-full blast.

Xmax should be the amount of travel a driver moves inward or outward. This is based on halving the linear voice coil travel. Most engineers are lazy. They just look at paper graphs and do math calculations.

Xmax is affected by the spider length, surround length and flexibility, magnet capabilities, system Q, terminal leads, and power.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7662
clipping is more often caused by the amplifier gain being set improperly, or a lack of sufficient charging system causing a sag in voltage rails to teh amplifier's power supply.

speakers by their very nature create far more distortion than any amplifier though, and are far less efficient, producing about 5% work return for the energy given them.

Xmax is linear excursion. Xsus is suspension travel. Xmech is mechanical travel, and Xmag is the travel distance within the magnetic field.
A speaker can exceed Xmag but it cannot exceed Xsus. Xmax can be a very misleading figure to go by as it doesn't tell you everything, such as how much of the Xmax is actually within Xmag, since beyond Xmag it takes a tremendous amount of power to control the driver and move the voice coil. You also tend to lose linearity at that point which causes other issues to arise.

Also if you're using a ported enclosure, the subs aren't going to reach peak excursion the way they would in a sealed box, but you should still be getting plenty of output from the subs.
if they aren't hitting hard enough, don't use the gain on the amp to compensate. get a bigger amp.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 255
do what they said they know what they are tlaking about lol... but i do know that if your running a sealed enclosure if you make a larger enclosure its easier to make the subs move...right

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2424
well in a large sealed enclosure it will reach x-max with less power then in a small sealed enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3735
Yup. The bigger the enclosure, the more excursion you'll have. If you really wanted to hit full excursion easily, run the sub Infinite baffle. Just don't throw too much power to it.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 257
i wasnt the one that asked the question but now im curious what do yoiu mean infinite baffle... but sorry i got to go take a shower n go to sleep i got school in the AM i;l check the post tomorrow

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3741
Infinite baffle is free air. You basically have what is equivalent to an infinite (to the subs standpoint) amount of air behind the sub, not using an enclosure and relying fully on the subs suspension. You'd simply have a baffle board that separated the front of the sub from the rear, and the rear would face toward something such as the trunk of the car, etc.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2545
could i do this with my eclipse ti and 1200 watts rms, or could i just TEAR the back of my box off lol to do this

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2431
Hey sub if you were to run that sub with 1200rms infinite baffle it would destroy the sub instantly!

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 52
Well as for getting a new amp and stuff
i've had that "processig" for a while from sonicelectronix...its been processing for like 14 days now
but thats a soundstream one at 300rmsx2 @ 20hms
i knew the underpowering was a big mistake, but its all i have until they finally process the stupid thing
after calling them...they said they dont actually "hosue" the amp...they just promote it on their site for a warehouse on the east cost
so it has to get processed like 3 times or somethin
i think i might try to cancel and get my secondary amp(hifonics zx6000 or somethin)...maybe that one'll ship faster
im hopin that'll help increase the excursion a lot
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us