Thinking of getting a sub..need some help

Username: Soccergk

Montclair, Nj United States

Post Number: 3
im getting a car this summer im planning on getting an amp and sub. i have been looking on ebay because i have a very tight budget im looking for something decent yet cheap. so if i could get everything for under 100 that would be great. ithink i want the subs that are already come built in the box if that would be easier. ill prob end up getting a sedan or coupe so i guess it will go in the trunk. so if someone could tell me how me how many watts and what kind of amp or anything else im totally clueless

thanks~

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2192
we will be glad tto helpya, and welcome lol, but for under 100 its giong to be hard to do. But it can be done, but do you want spl, or sq. Spl=sound pressure level, sq= sound quality?

Post Number: 4
i dont want to be banging down the street but i do love bass, so is there something in between?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2193
if i were you i would look for a sq setup then

Post Number: 5
ok so how do i go about thinking what type to get? like how many watts? is it better just to get it already with the box? should i get one speaker or two? it may be a hatchback im looking at an older eclipse. what about the bazooka ones?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 431
I would just save up 400$ bucks, but if you were only to spend 100$ then I have almost no idea of what you could get. Plus if you dont know how to install it you would need to pay an install fee and wires. but if your stuck on 100$ then ill look around for you but not till tommorrow cuz its 1:20 in the mornin and got to sleep. also are you lookin to buy online or at a store.

Post Number: 6
ebay i think would be the cheapest

Bronze Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 58
Ya its tough getting a whole setup for $100 considering just the wiring is about 20 and box is 50, leaving you 30 for a sub and amp. my first system turned out nice and i spent $300. i recommend saving up and getting something decent its worth it in the long run. this way everything sounds better and no worries with crappy stuff blowing, then having to replace and spending more. If you can scrap up more money ide be glad to help.

Post Number: 7
i have seen them on ebay you can get the speaker and box for under or around 50. i havent really looked at the amps yet. something like this?? maybe

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647%26item%3 D7968883414%26

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
heather just make sure if your buying on ebay that you buy from a powerseller store. i wouldnt trust people selling amps or subs, i have heard stories about recieving broken or fried electronics, even stuff completely different than what was ordered.

Post Number: 8
alright good advice, so if i do get a sub like that one with the box how many watts do you think it should be? and how many for the amp? is it possible to install it myself, my dad is very handy you should see out basement haha. if not how much would it be to get installed?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
what brand were you looking at for $50 on ebay, the link didnt work for me? Was the seller a company or a person?

Post Number: 9
its from a power seller, heres the description. this isnt what i want this was jsut an example the the whole set up. this one he says has something wrong with it. this one actually works. see if the link works. they are "two Rockford Fosgate P1 subwoofers with a fitted Q Logic enclosure. "

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647%26item%3 D7968368415%26

Post Number: 10
heres another one its a single 10 inch alpine type E i think

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647%26item%3 D7968358260%26

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
well just keep lookin for those in your price range, make sure when you find a possibility you tell us what brand it is so we can say yes/no. there are some terrible subs out there so dont jump into a cheap deal!! as for installing yourself i would say ask more experienced people on this forum i dont know as much as some, but i know its really risky. Glasswolf and some others are really good with installation and help.
Keep looking, you will be happy with your system if your patient and save up a little more money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i am thinking the tube type may do it, because thre prob will not be much trunk room, and heres a tube with a built in amp. its a "Audiovox 8" 200 Watt Amplified Bass Subwoofer Tube " i can get it for under 50 with shipping what do you think?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
i would not go with that sub. im not sure how big of a rush to get a sub your in but if you have time to save up you should. wait until tomorrow and ask a more experienced person about the tube type, im not familiar with their potential.
you can get something better for a small amount more, my advice is do nothing to your cars system until you have the funds, you will be glad you waited. ill check back tomorrow.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 363
Save your money. Otherwise you will probably end up respending for better quality stuff. An example of a good cheap sub would be a JL 10W0.

Silver Member
Username: Pharoh

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 141
Still tho, the 10W0 is not the greatest. Think of it this way. For everything you need in a sound system add 100$. Amp, Sub, Wiring, Install(if you don no how yourself), Box, and a Head Unit would be Key. Thats about 500$ - 600$. And thats an alright system. About 100 for a decent sub, box about the same, amp is more on the lines of 200ish, install about 40-70$, wire harness about 50ish. Thats just an idea of the things required if you want to go that way for a lower end, but still some bumb system. Another way is going with a BassTub. Somthing like what you had in mind. Except try this site tho. If you want anything that will make a difference, you will have to spend some money.

http://infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='BASSLINK'&Ser=BSL&Cat=PSU

Note you will be able to get products like these for cheaper :-)

Silver Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 142
Here is somthing maybe on the lines of what you were thinking?

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product_info/overview/index__cat_id--11940000 ,prod_id--279377316.html

Silver Member

Bradford, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 143
sorry, broken link.

Bazooka BTA10100 Subwoofer
10" Amplified Subwoofer Tube System - 100 watts RMS
150 - 220$ish

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
yea something like that i guess. i am not looking for the best system. just something for some extra kick. i have the money just im getting a used car so i kind of have to watch my money with insurance and all. so that bazooka tube if i find that or something similar do you think that would do the job? i just want some extra boom to my music

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
what about this? 1400 WATT SUBWOOFERS IN BANDPASS BOX -(2) 12" Intrepid Audio GZ700 Chrome Subs
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38647%26item%3 D7967669850%26

for under 150

Bronze Member
Username: Mrcoddy

Taber, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 11
So from what I ahve gathered from this forum so far is that you want that extra litle bumb in the trunk for cheap. my suggestion is go with a 8" or 10" sub most lowest end brands have decent subs for cheap. For an amp you should go with something simple like a sony or pyramid. Both SUCK IMO but for your setup they would work nicely and wont break yuor budget. for watts my guess is that you would be happy with something around 100-200 watts RMS. As far as installation goes im pretty sure your dad could handle it really isnt to hard just let him read the manuals first. Hope this helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
you can get cheaper and better than pharos reccommendation. i used to own a kicker comp and it sounded pretty good(loud too), i see them for $70 these days. look on www.woofersect.com it has lots to choose from. this would sound much better than a tube, and if you dad built you a box (really not that hard i did mine, just make sure it is sealed really good) you would save money. cheaper amps can be found for 100, now your only looking at about 220 after wire is bought. is that still too much?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us