Scion TC Setup - Help needed

Unregistered guest
Good morning everybody, first off I want to say WOW. This is the forum that I was searching for a long time. I realy found all this info very helpful. But I just wanted to ask a questions to the pro's. I am looking to get some performance sound in my Scion TC. I was currently eye balling a Pioneer(which one I'm not sure) head unit beacause from waht I read here it seems really recommended. The only thing I want to do for now is add subwoofers. I pretty sure you all know about the TC that its a coupe so the trunk is basically open to the interior of the car. Anyways, money is not a variable, but I sont want to pay a grand per subwoofer like a pioneer premier competion subwoofers. What would be the best thing to get in order to achieve a really nice vibrating bass to that It almost makes you heart stop. I really dont want that ugly pounding that I hear from my neighboors that makes your trunk rattle. I think thats SPL or something. Any idea's as what would be the best. From what I read, two Kicker 12" CVR's will do. I also noticed the Kicker 1200.1 amp that can go 1200watts @ 1ohm(is that good)Will that one amp power both subs. Also in the near future, I will upgrade my interior speakers. Please , are there any pro's that know what I'm trying to achieve and how do I go about it. Thank you all in advance

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2242
that amp will OVER power both subs lol, but welcome to the forum, from what i have seen the Tc has a pretty open trunk so you have a nice install comeing i guess, and my mom has the Xb, i tried to get her to get the tc but NOOOO lol, well first off since its a new car we dont want to harm the electrical system, so i would suggest looking into getting a new alternator, i would suggest the bigger the better, misewell go all out on this one cause if you decide in a few years that you want to upgrade to a much louder system, who wants to rereplace a HO alternator, but it sounds like to me your really out for sq, and you didnt really mention a price but you want somen that pound like that, kicker comp vr's arent really the place to get that, they are good subs no doubt, but they just arent that powerful. So in my opinion, if you want some good spl with good sq, go with 2 12 inch Jlw6v2's or 2 12 inch Eclipse Ti's lol. i love eclipse just to let you know, oh and for the HU(head unit) look into brands such as Eclipse, Pionner is good, i prefer there pioneer premier line, clarion is good, so is alpine, these are some of the best out in my opinion of course, but before you buy anything find out what you like and a good website to see things and prices is www.woofersetc.com, but decide on some nice subs you want, tell us your budget, and we will help with amps and everything as well, but for the time being, iw ould say 2 12 inch eclipse ti's powered by like a 1500 watt rms amp at 1 ohm, hifonics brutus 1500d amp is the only thing that comes to mind at the moment, but later we will find more about that, and dont skimp on new front speakers and just get rid of the rear deck, and put nice component speakers with an amp up front for some good sound. and dont skimp on tons of sound deadener lol

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1400
Well, it looks like you are picking some good starter's!
The head unit, Pioneer, or Pioneer premeer are both great cd player's.
The Kicker cvr's are good sub's, but how much are you wanting to spend on the sub/subs, and amp?

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2254
ha BEAT YOU! lol

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
I'm thinking I will start off with a grand for an amp , two subwoofers , box to hold the subs and whatever else I might need (4 guage cables? any adapters or crossovers etc.) On a second thought, I also dont want to destroy my new car with sounds. What do you guys recommend, maybee 2 subs that are 800 rms each and a amp that will power those subs nicelly. Can you please recommend how should that setup be connected, I mean bridged or @ 2ohms or @ 4 etc. Thank You all very much for the help.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2261
then the eclipse ti's are right there for ya, i would suggest getting, 2 12 inch eclipse Ti's, you can get them for like 300-330 at www.electronicgiant.com, for the money just to be safe, get a hifonicsbrutus1500d amp, thats like 250 so thats like 800 right there, build yo ur own box, or i could build you one for them for 50-70 bucks plus shipping, or im sure you could do it maybe, then you can get a wiring kit for like 50 hopefully, so tahts like 950, BUt this will be difficult for your car to handle because of the strain on your alternator, but if your intersted in the box ill build it for you if you want after you decide what your getting

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
I found this, Is this what your recommended.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5706780125&category=1498 Will this amp power those eclipse Ti's at 1500 watt each so that will make my total output power 3000 or will it be 1500 total comming from both subs meaning 750 watts from each sub?.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1418
In car audio, the first thing you need to do is look at rms numbers. Peak, or max ratings mean nothing.
Each sub should be getting 750 watts rms. They can handle a little mor though, I wouldn't recomend going much over 900 watt's.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2263
taylor, shh your mouth, lol jk, but seriously, im running 1200 watts RMS to my 15 inch Ti, and its 750 watts rms lol, but yea, tahts the amp, and its got the kit with it

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1420
Yes, that is the amp you should look in to getting, unless you want to spend more money for a little better brand of amp. But for the price you can't do much better than the Hifonic's BX1500D.
You should get 2 Eclipse 9122's subs, the 2 ohm dvc virsions. Then wire them in paralel to get a 2 ohm load, the wire it back to the amp in paralel to get the 1 ohm load. Then you're amp will be pushing 1500 watts at 1 ohm. Each sub will be getting 750 watt's.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2268
wait taylor, are you sure? shouldnt he get the 4 ohm version then wire them in parrellel/parrellel to get a 1 ohm load, what you did would result in a .5ohm load...right?

Silver Member
Username: Rhassler

Gilford, NH

Post Number: 130
i thought that 2 dual 4 ohm subs wired parallel to the amp gave a 1 ohm load?

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1425
Unless I'm having a braine p00p, I can't even believe I can't use the word f a r t, anyway, that doesn't supprise me!:-)
1 2 ohm dvc sub can be wired either in to a 1 ohm, or 4 ohm. So, if you have 2 2 ohm dvc sub's wired in paralel, 1ohm+1ohm, would that equal 2 ohm's? Then you wire the 2 ohm's in to paralel agen to get the 1 ohm load?
I think I've screwed that up some where:-) I'm getting sleepy I can't even think straight.:-) haha

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
Ok, so I thought that having two subs, each sub hitting 750 watts rms would be ideal for me for now just to see how I feel after the experiance. Because honestlly, I only maybee sat a couple of times in a car with sounds. Anyways, going back to the subs, my friend who is really a car sound freak, he is really pushing me into getting Kicker CVR subs. But after all he is only one person and this is a community. I think opinioms of many out weight one.

taylor17 , what was that other amp you mentioned when you said if I wanted something better.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1426
Wholly sh1t you'r right!
I think it is time for me to go to bed!:-) 2 4 ohm dvc subs wired paralel/paralel equals 1 ohm load.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1427
There are quite a few better amp's, the MTx 1501D is just another.
The cvr is a good sub, but the Eclipse TI's will destroy them.
There are a few more amp's, I just can't think of them at the moment.:-)

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
So I should get Eclipse TI's dual voice coils @ 2 ohms or @ 4 ohms each? Im gonna buy them once I get your input. So, these subs will run 750 watts rms each and combined in parallel whey will 1500 watts rms @ 1 ohms. And that MTx 1501D amp or the
Hifonics BX1500D will supply 1500 rms to both subs right? Thanks once again.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2271
taylor is a retard dont listen to him ahha jk, but for money wise, go with the hifonics brutus 1500d, get the eclipse ti in the 4 ohm version, wire them in parrellel/parrellel to get a 1 ohm load ersulting in 750 watts rms to each sub, but there are better amps, but this woud be the most cost efficient

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1436
"ersulting?"
Who's the retard? haha lol
Yup, for the money, the hifonics BX1500D is the best. Yes you'll get 1500 watts rms at 1 ohm with either of them.

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
Do you think I will be able to hook this all up to my Factory Radio. It is a Scion /Pioneer MP3 / XM Radio. I kinda overlooked my school bills a bit and I wont be able to get a radio for about a month or two.

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
Also, is there something I can do to protect my alternator. My friend told me soemthing about feris copacitators to modulate the current that is drown from the battery so that it wont put a strain on my alternator and keep the current flowing steady.

Username: Design

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 2
Kicker S10L7 / ALPINE Type R SWR-1022D / PIONEER TS-W3004SPL ??

HEy guys I joined the conversation because I also have a Tc. I'm stuck on deciding subwoofers, these three above cost the same more or less but they each offer their own quality. I need some help to decide. I've got a MOSFET Pioneer 1200W Dual 2ohm amp to push some good sound but I don't want it to come out rattling. I listen to rap, rock, breakbeats, drum & bass, plenty of hard sound to throw at my system so I want to make sure it handles it well. I've also got a Volfenhag 1.2 farad capacitor to make sure there's no juice drain. Can someone help??? I'm afraid that the Kicker will sound like a big boom that doesn't keep up with fast beats, the Alpine might sound great but too weak, and the Pioneer SEEMS to be the best at 3000W & great SPL but most expensive also and I'm not sure if my amp could handle it. I have a Scion Tc 2005 (hatchback) with a stock Pioneer cd/mp3 player, thinking of getting an equalizer. Any help would be great!

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1442
Well, the stock will work fine, but you can always upgrade later.
A cap won't really help that problem.
Think about it, if the alternator is already having problems keeping up, then the cap will need electricity too! Where do you think that electricity is cumming from? Exactly, you're alternator.

Gold Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1443
David, start a new thread, it will make everything easier.

Username: Design

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 3
sorry... I just noticed that this thread is actually live, it popped up w/ 10 replies after posting my own. I'm in a rush because there's only one ebay auction for the speaker im likely to get and its ending in a few hours. None of my local stores carry any of these brands so I can't even compare sound =( ... I'll wait in my own thread, thanks.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2337
EX-CON, adding a cap will just hurt your alternator more, think about it, when your cap is totally drained from being used to keep up with subwoofers and when tis drained the alternator will then have to push the amp AND the cap and hurt it even worse

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
So these are the Eclpise Ti's I should get right.
http://www.electronicgiant.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1127&osCsid= f0cf8b92946269fbaf67d55c6632b04e

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2340
yea those are the ones lol

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
Im just really making sure. Cause it is a lot of money and I dont want to scerw anything up. :-) . I just placed the order That Hifonics Brutus amp $270 with shipping and 2 x Eclipse Ti SW9122 $708 with shipping. Thats almost $1000. SO I have the amp, subs, install kit that comes with the amp. I am very happy right now, it a very nice birth day present for myself. April - 19 . I am 21 today. Muahaha ;)

Ex-CON
Unregistered guest
Im just really making sure. Cause it is a lot of money and I dont want to scerw anything up. . I just placed the order That Hifonics Brutus amp $270 with shipping and 2 x Eclipse Ti SW9122 $708 with shipping. Thats almost $1000. SO I have the amp, subs, install kit that comes with the amp. I am very happy right now, it a very nice birth day present for myself. April - 19 . I am 21 today. Muahaha ;)

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2345
hah, happy bday, you CAN DRINK!!!!! ahha, im still only 17 :-( lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us