Getting hired at local audio place(Glasswolf??)

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 50
Allright, i'm thinking of applying to a car audio design place and i was wondering if anyone knew the kinds of things they required(if any) to either be an installer/salesperson. Glasswolf, i know you are/were a certified installer...did you get that from the place u installed? or did you have to get that on your own? or what would you think would help me get the best job at this place?
i realise most of the people there aren't that smart...but im wondering if there is any way i can prove that i know more.
thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 950
I got a job in mobile sales at Sound Advice(Tweeters) w/o any official credentials. I just showed them my resume. They were mainly impresssed that I'd worked for the same people for a period of 8+ years. It was right before the Christmas rush, they needed a few more sales peeps, and I think they were on a "lets hire the enthusiast" kick as well. I really didn't even demonstrate any particular knowledge. I just showed them my college transcripts(with Engineering classes) and told them I'd been into car audio for a good while and they hired me.

An installer job may be a different story, but for sales the hardest thing is probably going to be finding some place thats hiring.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 951
Oh btw I'm a boat captain and had absolutely no sales experience at the time.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 117
Wana do my install for me fishy ?

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 954
Physically?

I'm not the best installer and I only worked at Sound Advice for about 3 months, hehe. I don't have near the practical experience Jonathan, Glass or a few others here have, just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I have no problem tossing a few ideas around however.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7630
you can get MECP basic certified. that's a good start.
then go fill out an applicationa nd give them a resume.

anything beyond basic level mecp requires you work professionally for a specified number of years before you can testfor advanced certs.

Silver Member
Username: Udai

Post Number: 118
Ya i wouldnt mind paying glass or Johnathan to do my install but they dont live near here. I planned on going to sound advice b/c my friend said he can get me a good deal but i know im still gona get ripped off (guarantee over 150 for the box)

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1277
a boat captain huh, did no one else think that was wierd? yar me and me first maties a scurvey curs. now your name makes since, i thought maybe something "downstairs" smelt fishy, or was just clammy. you dont have any pink crustations do you?

im just kidding fishy, your a good kid. ya the hardest part is finding one that is hiring.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3701
I'm not a huge custom installer. I'll do fiberglassing for kick panels or door pods and such, but overall I like a clean, more stealthy install instead of all the chrome, plexiglass, and body color fiberglass jobs you see at car shows. All the show cars with huge TVs, headrest monitors, DVD, indash navigation, Playstation 2s and X-boxes just don't do it for me. I do things like making door pods or kicks and covering them with the same vinyl or leather you'd see on the stock vehicle, then painting the speaker grills to match that color, maybe with a little trim ring around it or something. For subs I may put them in a fiberglass enclosure in a wheelwell or the spare tire location, and cover it with factory color carpet. I'd rather something look like it would have if it were a factory option. Then, of course, sound deadening the crap out of a vehicle. I'll post my next project on the net when I get it going, going to be a while though. I may put it on SD or something.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us