(1) Focal coaxial 6x9 160/80watt

damaged:
(3) 11" 27WX Utopia sub

email: Alpine_amp@msn.com

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 30
I remember buying Focal speakers as far back as 1990. I have used them in projects before. I was floored just recently, when I saw the retail price they were selling for. I used to pay 1/10th of the price for them.

Sometimes you got to consider value. Things have changed so much lately.

Anonymous

im not trying to make a lot of money here people just wanna get rid of it.. just in my garage collecting dust
i'll take offers for the whole thing.. $250 and u can have it all..

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 33
No, NO, No ......

I didn't mean about you. I was talking about Focal in general. Cmon is there really a reason why we should have to pay $1000 for a speaker?

The average home sells for arround $400,000 in Sacramento. The average yearly income is $40,000. Even with interest rates down the math doesn't really add up.

My point is where do you draw the line?

A dell laptop can be purchased as low as $500. This laptop does a lot more than just a simple speaker.

Don't get me wrong. I am a speaker builder and have been impressed with Focal's performance, but I can buy other speakers out there for under $100 that are comparable in performance. Sure it takes a lil crossover work, but when it comes to value, it just doesn't add up.

Dissapointed by the outrageous prices lately is all...

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3672
At least you weren't looking at Dynaudio Evidence Masters, or Martin Logan Statement E2s :-).

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 34
I can build a speaker system for myself that will perform and compare to just about anything out on the market.

The Dynaudio product line is excellent, but I can't justify paying $90,000 for a set of towers that cost about $7,500 and the rest goes to the middle man.

Sure laser guided CNC machines are sweet, but I can build a custom cabinet doing it the old fashioned way, using a standard rip fence and a few jigs.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3675
What about the Martin Logans, though? :-) Once you hear those, it's HARD to listen to conventional drivers anymore.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7584
electrostatics are amazingly transparent and get plenty loud, at the cost of needing a very good solid state amplifier to drive them, and the fact that they're relatively large to get high output, and require 120VAC to operate.

all in all though, I love ESL speakers. not everybody does though, and they aren't ideal for all types of music. They don't do as well with low resolution media, or stuff like metal, but they excel for jazz, classical, alternative, etc.. they also need a room that's set up well, with a lot of work put into positioning for a good sweet spot due to the bi-polar nature of an ESL panel.

anyway, I think the Odesseys are $6500 very well spent if you have the money and the space for them.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3677
That's the main thing I like about Dynaudios, they are very transparent, not quite ESL transparent, but some of the best cone drivers I've heard.

I remember the post you put up about the girl that had a rather...enjoyable listening experience ;), all I can say is 'nuff said. It's all you need to know, the Prodigys blew me away. And really they're not bad for the price when comparing them to super high end conventional drivers.

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 37
ELS lag the bottom end, and therefore need a subwoofer. Thats my only beef with them. Otherwise like GlassWolf said "The Price Is Right".

Dynaudio had my all time favorite 8" driver. It is no longer being made. It was the notorious 21 W 54. That driver was sweeeeeeeeeeeet and smooooooooooooth. Too bad it had a foam surround and it rotted away after a while (thats why they dont make it anymore).

Last but not least ........... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr......... I hate paying $200 for a raw woofer, when theres other drivers out there for $80 that will compare.

Am I really that cheap?

The next European company to ask outreageous prices will be Seas, just watch.

Anonymous

have you guys heard of CF's subs?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7600
yeah MartinLogans use a sub for <250Hz response, but it's done very well. the roll off is just about flawless from the ESL to the woofer, and while it may at first seem a bit odd using an ESL and conventional woofer together, keep in mind there isn't any single-speaker system out there that's full range and 'perfect."
Even conventional cabinets like DynAudio use multiple speakers to cover full range response.

I particularly like the ESL design because with proper positioning of the speakers, using a large ESL, you get great imaging and soundstage, and no point sourcing like you often do with conventional speakers with all of the sound coming from one spot. those ESLs rely a lot on first order reflection for soundstage so you get a very room-filling feel with them.

CF being? (sometimes initials slip past me..)
for home subs, I'm a fan of Sunfire and Krell.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3686
Oh, I forgot to mention, for any of you that want to audition or hear Focals, I've heard that Tweeter stores and their subsidiaries are about to carry Focal equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 294
most of the Tweeter stores don't have them yet because i wanted to hear them, said it'll be about a month before they get any in.

Bronze Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 42
Magnolia Hi-Fi in Sacramento has been displaying and selling Focals for a few years now. I have listened to Focals as far back as 1990.

Heres what great about Focal tweeters:

above 90 dB

Large magnet

no face shield/desperation shield

durable terminals

Heres whats bad about Focal Tweeters.

the voice coil is centered without a guide (only the screws hold the voice coil centered)

if you happen to off center the face plate, you will get all kind of problems

the frequency response is choppy

they are extremely harsh tweeters (even the inverted kevlar dome)

The Focal woofers are weak, and the ones with the bullet/phase plug, have air leaks (voice coil/motor noise).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3691
Yeah, I prefer Dynaudio and Rainbow over Focal. As far as tweeters, I prefer the Dynaudio 330D Esotar over just about anything out there, home or car. It's a good thing Tweeter stores will carry Focal, though, they're more widespread and more people will have a chance to audition them.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us