Need ADVICE on Car Audio Systems.. Complete Rookie

Username: Vincentian

Post Number: 1
hi i was wondering if neone could give me there opinions on wut to buy for a car audio system with regards to subwoofers, amps and nething else needed. My budget is 400-600 dollars so any recommendations on how i can get the best system for that amount of money. Your help would greatly be appreciated.

Post Number: 6
didn't mean to double post sorry

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 2036
well, do you need a HU to? and do you want to get alot of spl(sound pressure level) or sq(sound quality)

Post Number: 8
like when i mean rookie i mean really a roookie... wut is HU...... and sound pressure level would be the power of the bass? and sound quality would be the sound quality???

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 288
HU is a head unit, or a deck. SPL is deep bass, mainly used for raps songs and SQ is sound quality. If you need a HU you're only looking to spend like $400. What do want out of your sound system?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i want it to be loud and i probably would prefer sq to spl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
i dont know if i need a head unit i have a JVC KS-FX280 cassette player in my car rite now which i just plan on using a cassette adapter to connect my ipod to but i dont know if it has the proper outlets for subwoofers and amps etc

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 308
You're gonna wanna update.. You can grab a decen pioneer for like $125 and you'll most likely be happier.That leaves you with about $450. I would get a decent set of comps and power them with with a 2 channel or 4 channel amp. Upside to the 4 channel is you can bridge the back 2 channels to a small subwoofer. For good cheap comsp, check out Infinity, CDT and MB Quart. For amps I would look at PPI Art series PC/PCX series. Even a Kicker 650.4 would suit your needs. After you get that, save up some money and get a sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
comps r? ....... so i should get new speakers first before i get a subwoofer ... and is the ppi a300.2 a 4 channel amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 281
comps are component speakers.. which consists of 2 or 3 parts 2 being a 2 way set 3 being a 3 way... 2 ways are more common they are a 6 1/2" woofer cone (if its a 6 1/2" set) and a small "tweeter" <- This produces the higher frequency sounds while the cone picks up the lower ones.. component sets have much better sound quality than coaxial sets do (tweeter mounted on top of the woofer) down side is there more expensive of course.. it would be hard to build an entire system.. even a buget system with that much .. i would work on the HU first though as it pretty much makes the system.. look at alpine they make some good hu.. or eclipse.. see how the speakers sound with a new hu .. u may be satisfied for them.. then look for some subs and an amp.. MTX makes decent equipment for the money so u could take a look at that.. im an alpine nut,, u could take a look at there new "type R" subwoofers theres lots out there tho im sure people will post some suggestions

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
does the volts on the preouts or preamps or w/e make a big difference? like wit the eclipse CD5415 its 5V preamp output and with the alpine CDE 9845 its 2V

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2041
Yes, the higher the voltage the stronger the signal that travels through the rca cables.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
so does that make the eclipse better than the alpine

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 299
not really, if you get a good amp then it shouldn't make that big of a difference between 2V and 5V rca signal strangth. thats why amps have an input sensitivity

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3692
A stronger preout signal is always a good thing. The more you have to turn up the input sensitivity, the more noise you are amplifying through the system, it's better to have a stronger signal and keep the amp gains low. Higher preout voltages also reject noise better. That being said, whether you notice a difference is questionable. 2V to 4V is a pretty big jump, 4V to 8V isn't quite as much.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
ic thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us