Whats a good db reading

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Victorville, CA US

Post Number: 17
without having the most expensive subs or anything just a good install whats a good db reading? my friend says its around 120 but i think it should be around 135 thats where you start to really feel the spl what do you pros think???????

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 197
120 isnt really that loud..135 is fairly loud more than most people can handle for awhile

Bronze Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 80
how loud is it usualy when you feel your hair moving and your chest pounding and thing things rattle off the middle console?

Silver Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 566
you really cant judge how loud something is "by-ear"...some frequencies will seem louder than others to the human ear.

120dB isnt that loud at all...but 135dB is starting to get pretty loud. If you are doing 135dB and it sounds pretty good (SQ), then you have a nice bumping lil system.

Just for an extra lil tid-bid of info.. if i'm not mistaken, it is illegal in the US to expose an employee to noise levels over 140dB w/o hearing protection. (I enjoy bass that is over 140dB though...go figure)

By the way, what do you have in your system and what car is it in?

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 81
who me? Not anything great. 2 12 alpine type-r's in a ported box. givin them about 350-375 watts each.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 567
It depends on that car it is in and what frequency is being played.

A 30hz frequency at 135dB would rattle stuff pretty well...lol
My truck does roughly 145dB @50hz...but i havent got to play any low notes in it yet. Its pretty loud though, lots of stuff rattles and the back glass flexes all over the place. I cant leave a CD or sometimes a cellphone on the center console in the truck...it will fall off.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 82
its a jeep grand cherokee. Dont SUV's get louder inside that smaller cars? All I know is, I feel pressure around me and my hair is moving like theirs wind around me.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 568
...if you wanna see what i would call "really loud", look on realmofexcursion.com

There is a guy named Steve Meade on there in a Tahoe...he has 4 18" RE MTs. I think he does like 153dB at 30hz. That would just be insane...lmao.

there are guys out there is CRX's that do 160's...but 150dB at 30hz and 150dB at 70hz would have a totally different "feel" to it, if ya know what i mean.

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 569
Yea...SUV's tend to like lower notes, so your jeep is prolly peaking between 40-50hz. SUV's have move room for the wave to develope, that why they peak at lower frequencies...and that is why they "sound" louder to the ear.

It is harder to get a low note loud though...your sub has to move more air to create the wave. That is why guys in CRX's can do 150's @ like 60hz easier than a guy that has an SUV that "likes" 40hz.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 83
so should I be hitting higher than 120? I know you cant tell my spl, but it seems loud to me.

Silver Member
Username: Kenwa

Post Number: 122
I dont know what my system is hitting but it moves my steering wheel and steering column, can this cause and problems in the long run, like power steering lines vibrating loose or anything like that?

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 575
w/ 2 type-R's in a vented box and 700wrms+...yea, you should be in the 130's easily. That is if your install is any good at all.

Bronze Member
Username: Stylnul

Victorville, CA US

Post Number: 18
my stuff is pretty simple in my car i'm running all infinity speakers and subs, i measured it the other day with "late nite tip" (3 6 mafia) and it just went crazy mad (the reader) i used this one from a local shop in my area cuze he wanted to "sound check" it to see if it was a good install (i installed everything myself) and he was very surprised that it read 136 to 139. my wiring looks clean and the subs are infinity DVC reference series (not the best) they are in a ported box tuned to 30 HRZ wired in series, the car is a honda civic. anything from 3 6 hit soo hard, i have dynamat everywhere and it still rattles other things

Silver Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 589
what mic did the shop use?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us