4 Ohm or 2 Ohm

94red5-oh
Unregistered guest
Just for an example...
Amp - JL 1000/1
Sub - IDMAX 12 v.3 (Dual 2 Ohm, or Dual 4 Ohm VC's)

Is it better to get the dual 2 Ohm or dual 4 ohm. Basically my question is, do you get the dual 2 Ohm and run it at 4 Ohms at 1000x1, or the dual 4 Ohm and run it at 2 Ohms at 1000x1. Is there any difference in amp draw, heat, S/N, or THD?

Anonymous

2ohms will hit harder.
most likey you'll have the dual 2 Ohm and run it at 4 Ohms at 1000x1

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7527
actually the JL 1000/1 has regulated power supply and regulated output.
it's 1000wRMS regardless of load from 1.5 to 4 ohms, which are it's operating parameters.
for a single sub, go with dual 4 ohm coils, and wire them in parallel for a 2 ohm load to stay within the amp's specs.

Username: Mad_at_madd

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 2
Normally people buy dual 2ohm speakers when they have an amp that is stable down to 1/2ohm. So they can run the amp. at it's maximum potential. However, GlassWolf is 100% correct in his description of the working parameters of the JL 1000/1. I would also recommend exactly what he says.

94red5-oh
Unregistered guest
Thanks alot Glasswolf. Another question, do you know approximately how many amps this amplifier will draw? (I am not aware of its effeciency)

Bronze Member
Username: Mad_at_madd

Chico, CA USA

Post Number: 11
The general rule of thumb is that for every 100 watts an amp puts out there needs to be 10 amp's worth of fuse. So, at times of heavy load this amp should draw a maximum of 100amps from your charging system.

As for the efficiency rating of this amp. I know that the average efficiency of all D-class amps. is around 80% and and the only brand I know of that is over 90% is memphis. With that said I would ballpark it and say that the JL 1000/1 is rated in the mid 80's range, possibly closer to 90%.

If anyone knows the exact rating I would like to know it, b/c it wasn't stated in the amp's owner's manual.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7550
yup its a class D, but underrated for power, so ballpark at full output I'd say 120A draw.
the JL manual should tell exactly if ya get the PDF version from jlaudio.com

dual 2 ohm coil subs are handy also if you run a dedicated bridged amp for each sub like I do. that's a 4 ohm load on each amp for full power from a pair of two channel amps. That's not a common setup though. Most folks stick with the more efficient class D amplifers for subs and use a monoblock amp.

94red5-oh
Unregistered guest
So would it be better to get the Dual 2 Ohms? Because I would be able to have more options. I could be able to run it in parallel to achieve a 1 Ohm load if I where to ever switch to an Orion HCCA 250G4, and in series at 4 Ohms and run it with the JL 1000/1.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us