Subs not in the same motion

Bronze Member
Username: Dpaw20

FL USA

Post Number: 86
My subs are not moving in the same motion. One of them is a little slower than the other one it looks like. I had them wired wrong and they sounded horrible, then I wired them differently and they sound way better and louder, but they move different...are they still out of phase?

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1941
Well if their not moving in unison, then they should be out of phase. If they sound good though, leave them alone. Subs sound horrible when their played out of phase, they cancel eachother out to a point, and sq is bad.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 87
it only sounds good in beats like boom, boom, boom boom...not songs like three 6 mafia or anything near complex bass lines. Sounds muddy and not loud. I was just going to take it to the shop, but I would like to fix it myself. How do I get them in phase? I coulda swore I have them wired right. The problem the first time (which dont make sence) is I just switched a - wire, used for the sub to same sub wire, to a +...but I dont know how that made it sound better. I thought the wires were just copper? Anyway, it gets loud, but the 12" Type-R's are more SQ subs and good with SPL, but they sound terrible on some songs and then good on others.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1945
There's ways of changing the phase, but it'd cost too much for what you need. Just check to make sure the subs are wired correctly. You could have put a - wire where a + was supposed to be, and vice versa, therefore reversing the polarity of the sub. Do they move a little out of phase, or completely opposite?

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 90
not completely, but if you look in between them you can see a difference. Its kind of noticable, but it took me a day to notice.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 91
also, when I put phase shift on 180, they stay the same. No sound difference or movement difference from what I can tell.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1948
Yeah, because your just reversing the polarity of both of them, you need to shift just one of your subs.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 92
how? all it is is a switch thats normal, 0, or 180. when I put at 0 they stop, 180 does nothing and normal is normal.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1950
I think you need some kind of signal processor or something to change the phase, but I do know you can change it by smaller incriments than just 180.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 93
I dont know about that, i really dont want to buy anything else. I wish I could draw a picture of how their wired and show you. Its gotta be somthin small, since I installed it myself. And if I take it to a shop, how much do they charge to check/diagnose problems with systems? I called them and they fixed my problem with my HU easy after one word and they seamed nice. Since this is my first system and Ive only heard few others (2-3) I dont know what it should REALLY sound like. I want to make sure im not hurting my subs. All I need is to stop the rattling and make sure my subs are right and if not fix them, and ill be done for a while. I want to be able to relax and not worry if it'll ever work...wow, i really went on about this lol.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1951
They shouldn't really charge much at all, if anything to just check your system over. I would recommend having everything looked at though.

Bronze Member

FL USA

Post Number: 94
Ok, im goin tommarow after school. Maybe they'll have some cheap sound deadener to buy, but they'll probably only have Dynamat if that. Could I really just get some of that stuff from Lowes or Home Depot though? All I want is for the rattlin to stop.

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
+ to + and - to -, simple.pull apart the box and make sure that nothing is inverted. Get it? got it? good.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 347
Like nick said, as long as + is on +, and - is on -, you've got it right.
It sounds like you've messed up the polarity of one if you're switching your phase from 0 to 180 and back and you're not getting much difference. You can check really fast by just switching the + and - on ONE sub, leave the other one alone. Play some music, switch the phase and you should hear a pretty noticable difference.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 349
By "switch the phase", I mean flip your phase switch on your amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us