Clarion DRZ9255: an F#1 Status contender?

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 905
My old Alpine cde-7831 is on its way out so I just ordered a cda-9833($350 shipped) figuring it would have the best SQ for my application. F#1 status costs too much and I don't think my Xover can deal with Eclipse's 8V preouts.

I was all excited and happy to have finally made a decision when I came across this:

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?icatid=317&stk_code=cladrz9255&svbname=425

I've owned a couple Alpine tuners and have always been a fan of dead-heads, but I didn't think anyone made a good tuner anymore. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Since it has an on-board 4 way crossover I could easily lose my frx456 if the Clarion has a subsonic filter option as well. I don't think I can use my PPI's sub-out anyways and still use 4 channel time alignment as its non-fading and my 1001dx is mono and would result in the sum of all the delayed signals being reproduced in what I would think would be a pretty undesirable manner. The 24 bit Burr Brown DAC's look attractive too. Isn't that what the 7990 uses as well?

I'd be perfectly willing to cancel that 9833 and fork out the extra cash if this unit will produce even slightly better SQ. What does everybody think?

Kiki? Jonathan? anyone?

I've never owned a Clarion so I'm a bit hesitant to make that purchase. I figure I have til tomorrow morning to cancel that Alpine so some quick opinions sure would be appreciated.

thanks

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 906
err.... that should read "Glass? Jonathan? anyone?"

oops

:P

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 57
I remember when the older version,the DRX9255, came out and had many parts taken directly from the McIntosh MX-406...The DRZ9255 would spank the Alpine in many, many aspects. If you could afford it, wow, go for it.

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 907
Yeah I guess they're sposed to be pretty much the same thing and no I can't really afford it, but I can't really afford this whole hobby either.

:P

I'll just put off the IDmax for a bit. Thanks for the reply.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 908
Ordered it last night.

Tell ya in a week or so whether I got my money's worth.

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us