Question about headunit decision

Username: Jfo68106

Post Number: 2
I'm just wondering how important is the quality of a headunit in a system? Right now I have the Pioneer-4600 which I like because it has lots of customizing options and allows mp3/wma playback. But I'm thinking about purchasing an Alpline amp (because I heard they were good) in the future, and was wondering if I should really go through the trouble of purchasing an Alpline headunit to replace the pioneer before expanding by system (i could always do so afterwards right). I appreciate any helpful feedback. Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 79
Pioneer(premier) makes some of the best head units, i wouldnt bother getting an alpine to match your amp. i have a pioneer 5500 with mp3 playback, a ppi amp, and infinity subs. so it makes no difference. i would stick with the pioneer, they make excellent HU. I've never had a problem with mine. hope this helps

goon

Unregistered guest
I'm an Alpine fan and have been for the last 20 years.

But Howie is right.

Pioneer Premier HU's are top of the line.

When it comes to deciding between these two... its all up to the individual. Which knobs do you like best? What features do you like best? ... ETC.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3624
Alpines amps are good, not top of the line. I'd put them on par with MTX, Rockford Fosgate, mid-level line, good for the money type of stuff.

As far as the head units, Eclipse, Alpine, Pioneer, and also Clarion's Proaudio line are all very good. Like said above, the main difference in those are the features offered, tuning, ergonomics, Eclipse and Premier offer 24 bit DACs, preout strengths are different, etc.

Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 2
Yeah,
Alpine makes excellent HU's.

Their speakers are cranky. I wouldn't buy another Alpine speaker again.

The V12 amp lineup isn't bad. I owned a multichannel one, and got excellent sound imaging from it powering my 6's and tweeters.

I wouldn't consider using Alpine amps for subs "cuz they is weak". They're only about 96 dB or so.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us