Capacitors/Alternator

advisory
Unregistered guest
Right now, I have a Rockford Fosgate 500BD amp (RMS Power at 2 Ohms: 600 W x 1) with two 10" Alpine Type-R's (2 ohm DVC subs, 300w RMS, 1000w peak power).

With that setup alone, turning the system up to the loudest I'll play it (note: not the loudest it will go), which is about 3/4 of the volume, the lights dim, volts go down, etc.

Now, to solve that current problem, which would be a better solution: a .5 or 1 farad capacitor, or a new alternator? I can go either way. (But just wondering, what are prices on both?)

In a couple months, I'm replacing my mids in my truck with 6.5" 3-Way Infinite Kappas and 4"x6" Infinite Kappas, along with a 480w 4 channel amp to push them.

Now, my question with that setup (two amps, 6.5"s, 4x6"s, 10"s) is, can I use one capacitor for two amps, or do I need one capacitor for each amp? It'd be either one 1 farad capacitor, or two .5 farad capacitors

If I upgraded my alternator, would there even be any need for a capacitor (or two)?

One more off topic question: do crossovers or equalizers really make that much difference in sound quality? Are they worth investing any money into?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 125
OK Lots of topics here......In my opinion, if I were u, I would upgrade the alternator. www.4alterstart.com Now, all a cap does is STORE power- It does NOT produce it. With a 4ch amp being added, that is going to draw even more power. What kind of vehicle we got here? As far as a need for a cap, they are nice to have for a constant feed for your amps. Alternators only put out 40% or less at engine idle speed. On the other topic, it is again my opinion that x-overs and eqs make all the difference in the world on an SQ system. If all ur wanting to do is be heard and felt from 8 blocks away, then don't even sweat 'em- But.......if ur into SQ, I would recommend an EQ/XOVER/LINE DRIVER. SInce amps are stupid and do only what they are wired to do, If you have a crappy HU (SONY or something similar) the amp is going to "amplify" crappy sound. On the flip side of that token, If you have a Pioneer HU with an 8VDC Line driver, the amp(s) are not gonna work as hard, plus sound better. EQs "clean" up the sound that is amplified and xovers only allow certain frequencies to be "crossed over". For example, you wouldn't want your mids and highs to play nothing but 80 HZ and lower-that's all your BIG BASS. Hope this helps

advisory
Unregistered guest
Thanks... I've got a 2000 Chevy 1500 Reg. cab (4.3L v6)... I think I'll for sure go with a new alternator; any recommendatons on size?

I'm more into SQ than SPL, however I still like to have some SPL for "showing off", but sq is more important to me.

while ur at it, any suggestion for a good HU? all I want is ability to play cd-r's (mp3 and wma's), and a fairly good appearance. everything else doesn't matter, whatever best. no real price limit, just keep it practical

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 128
Pioneer to me offers the best line of HUs. They have more options than any other line. hey tend to distort at lower volumes than the OLD Clarions, but you ain't gonna be able to tell that unless ur in competitions. Visit www.thezeb.com they usually have some pretty good deals. As far as your alt is concerned, give me some specs on it and your battery.(stock)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us