Brand New JL 300/4 overheating?

Username: Bellger

Post Number: 1
I have a newly installed JL 300/4 amp in my car and after 30 minutes it gets very hot to the touch. After an hour you can only touch it for about 2 seconds and you'll pull back since it is so hot. Here's my setup:

Kenwood kdc-X979
kenwood 6042g eq
Hifonics Zeus zx7500
Jl 300/4
4 gauge wiring for each amp from battery to amps in trunk (@ 18 feet each)
The Hifonics amp has a 100 amp fuse and the JL is using a 50 amp fuse. On the JL amp I am running 2 front channels with Boston Pro 60's and rear fill with 2 6x9's. The sub amp is running 2X hifonics 12" subs.

I was thinking it may be the 50 amp fuse is too small? I experimented with the sensitivity and it reacted the same regardless of setting.

What do you think?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2106
What is your level/gain/sensitivity set at on 300/4 amp? Make sure it's properly set according to your HU's preout voltage.
Normally amps operate from warm to hot. Very rarely will the amp get very hot unless it's set incorrectly or over driven by not meeting the minimum ohm requirement.
Just curious, how hot does it get when the amp is just idling?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3560
Depends on the install of the amp, the fins on that amp should have open air whenever possible. Anyway, you shouldn't be overdriving the amp with the impedance load with those speakers, I'd say it's the gain setting like Isaac stated, and guess you're simply overdriving the amplifier. That amp won't draw more than 50 amps, or near it for that matter, but anyway a fuse won't affect how hot an amplifier runs, a fuse will simply burn out when too much current is pulled across it.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 81
wow I have the same amp and almost the same mids and I ran mine for 2hrs straight the other night very loud and it got warm, I'd say either gain or get a new one(hope you can)

Post Number: 2
If I turn down the sensitivity, will it drop the operating temperature? The sensitivity is turned to 50% rear and 55% front. How many ohms am I at if I am running the front channels through the PRO 60 boston crossovers? There is one crossover on each of the front channels and the output is to one tweeter and mid for each side. The rear channel is running 2 6x9's (2 way). I have the crossover setting off on the fronts and have run the rear on low pass and off. The rear are currently set to low pass. I have the input set to high voltage on front and rear inputs. My Head unit puts out 5V on the pre-outs. I run those to my EQ and the EQ outs to the amps. I am going out to my car right now to let the amp "idle" to see if it still gets hot. Does the orientation of the amp have a big to do with the temp? I have it mounted against the rear trunk wall vertically with the crossover section and inputs mounted up. The amp also has lights that are supposed to come on for temp and ohm load. Neither of these lights have ever come on. I'll give you guys an update on the amp at idle in about an hour.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2113
On your JL 300/4 amp, what is the input voltage switch set at? Is it on "low" or "high"? Since you mentioned your HU is 5v, that switch should be on "high" and set properly for 5v.
Most people mount the amps on the back seat in the trunk so that can't be the problem.

Post Number: 3
It's on High input voltage front and rear channels. I just went out to check the idle state and that baby is just as hot as when I crank it up for an hour. I had to pull my hand off after 2 seconds. My Hifonics amp is ok, just slightly warm to the touch. My JL amp feels super hot, yet the "thermal" light has not come on? What gives?

Now, I unplugged the rear channel RCA's and turned down the sensitivity all the way to 0 on both channels and switched it to 2ch instead of 4 channel. Let's see if it cools at all.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2114
Sounds like you have a bad amp. It should be cool to warm in idle mode. Only the $hitty Sony runs hot in idle.
There could be a problem with the thermal sensor in the amp. JL are suppose to be high quality, but like all electronics, there is no such thing as 100% guarantee.

Post Number: 5
Great! I just bought it brand new from a guy on Ebay. It was all sealed and obviously new. No warranty from JL however. I have a feeling it might have been somehow damaged in shipping. What to do now? It sound great and I like this amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2117
Ask the guy if he has receipt/proof of purchase. If the product is within the warranty period, JL has to honor it. Call the tech support and tell them that you got the amp as a gift and it needs servicing. They should be able to look up the serial number.
As long as the product wasn't stolen, I can't foresee any problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 86
mike am i correct in seeing that you have the amp running full bandwith on front and low pass on rear????, if so put both on high pass at 80-90hz and try it

Post Number: 5
Will do. I'll let you know what happens.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3561
Even if the warranty doesn't apply, it seems as if you have a simple problem and they will fix the amp for a price (not horrible price).

Post Number: 6
Here's the latest for those who are wondering. 1st of all, I'd like to say Thanks to everyone with valuable input on my problem. I took apart the amp just to inspect for any burning on the boards or components. Everything looks good and normal. I gotta tell you. These amps are jampacked! No extra room in there at all. I finally decided to call JL tech support directly. I had told them it is a new amp and hooked up to the exact specs outlined in the manual. Correct cabling, grounds and mounting position , sensitiviy, input voltage etc. and that after 1/2 hour of listening at 50-70% level the amp got very hot and I had to pull my hand off after 2 seconds. He asked if the thermal light ever came on. I responded, "No." He said he has the same amp and it is normal for the 300/4 to run very, very hot to the touch. He then asked if the power cable was hot. (it is not) and said no problem, enjoy the amp. All is good. Does this sound right? I'm in So Cal. by the way (not exactly ice cold in my trunk). Any ideas on how to mount a fan or any device to better cool the amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2189
Glad I don't have any JL amp. If you have a thermal temperature measuring device, try it. I'd like to know exactly how hot it's getting. Every amp has a "safe" operatering temperature. So if it's exceeding it, then the tech guy is wrong.
If you plan on keeping the amp for good, then you can purchase a whisper quiet cpu fan and install it on the amp. You create your own vent for it. A simple procedure like that could do wonders. I've done some testing with my amp. It went from your situation, to hot enough to warm your hands.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3602
It is normal for the slash series amps to run hotter than others, JLs amps will seem hotter than others simply because of the design. The aluminum they use on the case is thicker and not designed to release the bulk of the heat from the amp as others do, the fins are what release heat in the amplifier and the amp "feels" hotter because the case is designed to retain more heat and transfer it to the fins. Didn't read the 2 seconds remark, I pictured burn your skin off hot :-). Most amps use the entire footprint of the amp for cooling and spread the temperature over the entire amplifier, JLs do not, that's why your other amps felt cooler than your JL amp. The fins do a huge amount of the cooling and actually cool better than if you had an amp that simply used the case as a heatsink. The internals are much cooler than the outside of the amp indicates. Aside from that, the ambient temperature of a vehicle presents a huge impact on how hot an amplifier feels. Remember the inside of a vehicle can approach 200 degrees with the windows up and the sun beaming down, the amp will be scalding hot to the touch even without turning the amp on all day long.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2191
A good test will be during hot summer. Most of my amps play warm, but it does get hot during dog days. So if yours starts of very hot, you got yourself a heater. JLs are designed well, therefore you never know. Only time will tell.
All you need is a Sony amp beside JL in winter, and you won't have to turn on your heater.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3605
Mine get hot to the touch as is, set my gains with a scope so no worries there. Just the way the amp is designed. Even in 105 degree weather and 90% humidity I haven't had a hiccup from their amps.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2198
Which JL model do you have?
I'm sure you know which amps I have, Orion G4, PPI PC2300.2, PPI 600.2 Art series. I have more but those 2 are the ones that get used during extreme weather.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 862
Yeah, my Xtant 4180c's heatsink gets hot as hell pretty much regardless of gain even with the forced induction cooling and it still sounds sweet. My 1001dx on the other hand runs cool as a cucumber(class D) no matter how hard I push it and it actually has less sink area. I guess it depends a lot on the amp.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3609
Just in the design. Isaac, have the 300/2 and the 1000/1. 1000/1 is cooler than the 300/2.

Bronze Member
Username: Xtant1001

Post Number: 11
I have XTANT 1001 amp that im trying to find a good buyer on. It is pretty much in mint condition because I just got it back from the FACTORY to get the updated motherboard. This thing bumps my 2 12in diamond subs really good. All 3 still has the extanted warranty that I have bought. I have bought the amp for 1200.00 and askin 700.00 obo and the 2 Subs I have bought it for 350 each and asking 300.00 obo for both subs. Call (425) 985-5415 or email me unan0@hotmail.com. I live in Washington state.

deong
Unregistered guest
i wanted to know if anyone wanted to buy a soundstream reference 300 amp. it is very underrated and it is 1/2 ohm stable for 170 plus 15 shipping. leave feedback or contact me at maxpayne187@peoplepc.com

Post Number: 7
JL 300/4- What has more effect over temp: input sensitivity or crossover setting/pass filters? I have an infrared temp gauge that I use on my RC cars. Next time I get the amp nice and hot I'll take a reading and let you know.

Post Number: 8
Isaac, I have the JL 300/4- What has more effect over temp: input sensitivity or crossover setting/pass filters? I have an infrared temp gauge that I use on my RC cars. Next time I get the amp nice and hot I'll take a reading and let you know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2227
Input sensitivity has the most effect on the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us