Installation done today , problems already

Username: Steelersinmia

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 3
well, earlier today I finally revamped my car's audio system. It's a leased accord, so I just installed the speakers in the factory locations, quart rce 216's. I also had a 9835, 2 cvr 12's, kicker 600.1, and 650.4 installed. To be blunt, I'm quite unsatisfied with the job.

Ok..now to problem(s) ..I was checking the fade, and balance and both were completely out of wack..when faded forward all speakers faded out, when fading back it went to the right instead of back etc, just completely wrong. So, I went ahead and checked the rca connections on the 650.4 and noticed only 1 pair was connected(right there I got a little nauseous because I knew that didn't look right)

So I plugged in the other 2 and they weren't working ..I was getting like a subtle buzz sound from one back speaker(I didn't even check the rest at this point because I was getting irritated so I just stopped) Now I'm thinking my amp is defective. Is this the case ? IF the amp is defective I can deal with it(as long as it wasn't broken by the installer) ..but connecting one set of rca's(rig,incomplete job)and not even telling me ..totally unacceptable..now thinking back ..I remember the installer playing with the connections on the amp and me hearing popping sounds as the speakers were on..turns out those popping sounds were him playing with the rca connections(apparently checking to see which ones worked so he could just plug those in and leave the others hanging 'nice job') so naturally, now I'm worried ..could all that 'popping' have done any damage to the speakers(he had the volume moderately high which again was bothering me but I didn't want to say anything so as to not undermine him)?

also, he installed both amps on the sub box, one in the back and one on top. To say the least, I did not like this set up .. I don't like messing with my sub box ..is this amp setup ok ? i.e. can the vibrations damage the amps in ANY WAY? I'm mad because I really don't want the amps on the sub box but if I tell them to install it elsewhere and take it off the box..the box will be unusable i'm thinking and then I'll have to buy another box(which of course I shouldn't have to be doing) ..will the enclosure be rendered unusable ?

really, I've just about had it taking my car to a shop ..it's not their car so they really don't give a damn how the install comes out at the end of the day ..since it's not their car they just can't do a personal job, it's impossible(understandable)..for this kinda work I might as well do it myself and just learn the process myself. no one will do as good a job on your car other than yourself, as long as you learn everything of course.

I'm hoping to get some feedback before 8:40 am tomorrow.. this is when I'll be driving right back to the shop ..they open at 9 ..well thanks for reading/listening to my mini rant.

thanks
Rey in Miami

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 123
I would take it back and complain, you paid for a professional install, so it should be "professional". As for doing it yourself, you are completely correct. Amps should not be mounted on the box, as the vibrations will damage your amps, you can read about it at www.bcae1.com in the amp install section.

Username: Steelersinmia

Miami, FL USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the reply David,

see.. now the thing is .. let's say I do tell them "ok please take the amps off the box and mount them elsewhere" .. will the box still be usable(I'm sure it has holes from the screws)and if it's not do they have to replace it since they mounted it and that can damage the amp? and even if they do replace it..it might not be to spec since they're not a kicker dealer(i bought the box to spec from a kicker dealer) this is just great lol

And also, about the rca's ..I have them all disconnected right now .. should I connect the ones he had plugged and just tell them "the fade/balance are out of phase" or should I leave it unplugged and tell them that "hey look ..only one pair was plugged in why is that?" what should I say .I'm afraid to plug any of them in at this point because when I do, i'm hearing that little buzz sound now even when music is heard and i don't like playing my speakers when I hear anything but musical notes.. thanks again in advance

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 128
I would leave them out, and tell them how you found them. As for the box, they probably didn'ty use screws that would go all the way through. I would just put some wood glue, or silicone to fill up the hole.

Silver Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 129
Also be sure to tell him about the buzzing, and give him example. If this is a reputable shop they will fix it or replace it. If they don't and your equipment is f-ed up, I would see if they are a part of the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and file a complaint.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us