Dynaudio 240 mkII vs Rainbow Platinum..........attn: Johnathan

Bronze Member
Username: Ssoonr

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 30
I was going with the Dynaudios, then I read your post on another forum about your review of the rainbow platinums and am reconsidering. This is my first car audio system and I want to do it correctly the first time. On your recommendation of the Dyns; I went to listen to them, and loved them (especially playing Staind, as they are the only ones that I thought did that band any justice, I had thought I just had a bad recording, but staind sounded amazing playing on the right speakers).

The price difference between the two is manageable, so it is resonable that I can compare the two.

If I went the Dynaudio route, I would runt the 240 mkII with a JL 450/4, giving me the option of running MW 170's for rear fill (if I deam it needed), and run a IDMAX 10 off a JL 1000/1.

The Rainbow route would be platinums up front with Zapco RE750 (or an REF1000.4, which would give me an option of adding two SW 175/200 E Vanadiums) and a 10 IDMAX off a Zapco REF1100.1(if I went with the Vanadiums, the IDMAX would be usually turned off but if I wanted a little more bump, which I usually dont, but would want to have it available).

I listen to mostly alternative/rock such as Staind, mainstream (not hardcore) rap, and dabble with country every now and again. I really enjoyed the way the Dyn's seemed to disappear and not be so harsh and in your face. I did not like the Utopias or Z6's as I thought they were very bright.

I value your opinion highly as you have led me this far threw my decision process, please suggest what you feel will be the best fit for my application (2001 Camaro). I do not compete and am not doing the install... i am leaving that to the 'professionals'.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3580
Really a tough call. I was extremely impressed with the Platinums, but I should let you know thatI was equally blown away when I first heard the Dynaudio 240 Esotar set, so don't worry :-). It is mainly a tonality difference, the Dynaudios are a bit more transparent and neutral, the Rainbows have more midbass and are a tad more forward and dynamic. Think of the Platinums as a smoother set of Focal Utopias, the mids play similarly to each other (Rainbow mid is a tad more balanced, though, and has stronger midbass), but the Rainbows are absent the tweeter sharpness and are a smoother, more neutral set overall. If it comforts you, I've been debating between the Platinums and Dynaudio Esotars for months, if there were a clear winner I'd have long decided by now, I know my review of them might have suggested otherwise, but I'm still torn between them. You can't go wrong with either, honestly.

"I really enjoyed the way the Dyn's seemed to disappear and not be so harsh and in your face."

That statement along makes it sound as if Dynaudios are the speakers for you :-). One of their characteristics that separates them from most others, and the Rainbows are a tad more forward than the Dynaudios. BTW, the Platinums retail around $2000, so if you were willing to pay that, I encourage you to try to listen to the 240 Esotar set. Midbass is the same, but the tweeter is HEAVEN. It will blow you away, I promise. If they don't have that set, then listen to their home audio line to get an idea of what the tweeter sounds like. Anyway, you will have probably one of the best first systems of anyone I can think of :-).

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 32
Thanks for the advice, time for more research on the Esotar.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3582
Let me know what you think.

Bronze Member

Dallas, Texas

Post Number: 33
I have searched all over my area and can not find one store that has the Esotar, with the exception of three hours away in a home audio (which I will find time to make the trip before I make a decision, unless you can somehow translate the difference to me). I have searched for last couple days on audio forums trying to find out more information and opinions on either component set and have been unsuccessful.

What type of music do you think each one is better suited to play. As I am not quite sure how to relate the rainbows as being 'a tad more forward' than the dyns and how that translates to different types of music. Also, were the rainbows able to 'disappear' like the dyns?

You stated that the Rainbows had more midbass and dynamic, do you find yourself wanting more midbass out of the Dynaudios at certain times?

Thankyou for answering so many of my questions, as it is hard to imagine speakers that I haven't( and wont be able to) hear before I purchase them, without relating them specifically to something I have heard.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3596
I haven't been dissatisfied by the Dynaudios in any way, midbass included. The midbass of the Rainbows are just more punchy, the Dynaudios are still there, it's just more airy and not as in your face, that's what I meant by the dynamics of the speakers. The Dynaudios have a more balanced sound, the Rainbows are a tad livelier, by that I mean a punchier midbass and a little stronger tweeter. The Rainbows didn't quite disappear like the Dyns, but still disappeared well. Both are well suited for many types of music, if you are after a neutral sound, especially revealing material like vocals and more easy listening, and also dance and jazz, the Dynaudios perform very well on all that, they do very well on Rock, Pop, etc. too. Dynaudios are very neutral and revealing, the tonality is warm, they reveal nearly everything in the music, including the flaws in music, with poorly recorded material like rap and heavy rock flaws stick out like a sore thumb. That music is where speakers like Kappa Perfects do well because they exaggerate the upper midrange and treble region more. The Rainbows would do a little better in that regard because the midbass and tweeter would add a little more life to the music. Dynaudios are a love em/hate em deal, if you loved them, then you have likely found your components :-). The Esotar tweeter is based on the home tweeter, look for reviews on speakers from Merlin, Dynaudio, and a few others. Heres are two for starters:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/silverline2/bolero_2.html
http://www.10audio.com/fostex.htm
A google search will get you more reviews on them. As far as the tweeter itself, the face of it is very large, designed to minimize resonance, the phase response of the tweeter is less than 10 degrees off at all frequencies (VERY good), it drops very low for a tweeter, and the off axis performance is fantastic, the accuracy is great all the way up to 30khz. It doesn't have the rolloff that many soft domes have and still has the tonality benefit, the accuracy is very good and you get a little more detail out of the tweet than with the MD100. More accurate, has a sweet sound with a LOT of ambience while still disappearing, and the imaging is rock solid at every frequency when set up correctly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us