Atlas 12 kicks a$$

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 357
i installed my atlas 12 last night. anyone looking to spend $100 to $150 on a sub and power it with 200 to 400 watts, check out www.ascendantaudio.com !! i have it in a 1.5ft^3 sealed enclosure and i'm giving it 230 watts from my memphis amp and i'm very impressed with what it can do. it's louder than i expected; it hurts my ears to listen to it real loud for more than a few minutes - with 230 watts? what? i havent even gotten a chance to mess with my amp settings or add any recommended polyfill either.

the atlas has a second voice coil that is used to adjust the Qts - it changes the way the bass sounds, not a bass boost, it's hard to explain, if you're looking at a graph of the frequency and the rolloff at lower frequencies, it adds a "knee" or a little "punch" at that bottom end rolloff point. i installed a potentiometer in my console which allows me to control the second voice coil, or the Qts, "on the fly". it's sweet.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2073
nice man glad to hear it!

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 55
Good SQL? Do you happen to know the depth of it, I couldn't find it anywhere. I wanna put one in a custom box under my back seat in a 02 Silverado.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 358
Mounting depth is 6.5".

yeah. it hits hard and sounds good. the potentiometer, which is basically like taking the wire jumper off and on the second voice coil allows me to switch from low Qts , which is better for SQ, to high Qts, which gives me a lot more SPL.

my enclosure is 1.5ft^3 with no polyfill. that was the high end of the recommended enclosure sizes, so you can probably get away with 1.0ft^3 with polyfill and be fine, but you'll want to call and ask to be sure. the recommended box sizes on the website were slightly diff than what they told me over the phone - 1.0 to 1.5.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 360
for anyone interested, the potentiometer is part # ct2155-nd at Digikey.com - $3.61.

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 361
you'll need a knob for it too (if you want it to look good). i got part # 226-4021-nd , but there was a bunch to choose from.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 58
Sweet. Does it make any difference if the box is longer than it is tall? Thanks for the info.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1872
Dimensions don't matter. Just the volume.

Bronze Member

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 59
Excellent, thanks for the quick reply.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 125
lol wehats a potientiometer

Silver Member

Florida

Post Number: 390
a variable resistor. adjusts resistance, measured by ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us