2 Problems with New System

Username: Extazy911

Columbia, Maryland US

Post Number: 4
Well I finally did it. I now have a Pioneer DEH-P8600MP HU with 2x Infinity Reference 6002i in the front doors, 2x Infinity Reference 6002si in the rear deck, a Clarus CL800 400W x 2 Ch amp (wired with TYPE RF Competition Series 4 gauge power/ground wires and CPDT Dual Twist RCA Cables) and 12 gauge speaker wire connectedg to 1 Audiobahn ABB121Q 12" Subwoofer with a Grill and in a Sealed Enclosure, all being powered by an OPTIMA YellowTop Battery. I haven't had much time to tune my amp (or HU yet (there are so many options when trying to tune the HU, I feel a little overwhelmed)), but other than the infinite rattles (except for the trunk, it's Dynamatted) that I have to hunt out, everything is going about as well as planned. BUT I am having 2 unanticipated problems. I am NOT having the "power surge during turn on" problem that I posted my worries about in an earlier thread, I have 2 additional problems.

First problem: My factory antenna plug (that goes into the rear of the HU) doesn't fit, it appears to be too big (not to big of a deal since I rarely listen to FM radio, but still...) any suggestions?

Second problem: At night, when I turn up to the volume position of 15 (which is not very far on this HU) I notice the headlights dim a little. Is there anything that can be done about that? I have heard other forums say that a capacitor or a new battery will do the trick...but isn't running/charging those just adding to the "power vacuum"? I thought that in purchasing an OPTIMA YellowTop it would prevent this problem? Would this problem have been worse if I had not purchased one and had continued to use my old factory battery? Are there any long-term effects if I don't due something about this problem and just never turn my HU up past 15 at night when I have my headlights on?

I know my system components aren't of the best quality or have the best reputations, so I can probably chalk-up my problems to that, but I just want to make what I have work, as well as it can.

Any and all assistance and advice will be much appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Balls573

Winona, Missouri U.S

Post Number: 15
The new battery only really helps when your listening to your stereo with the car off. I would upgrade my alternator before buying a capacitor and if they still dim then buy one. Over time the system can kill your alternator but it won't hurt anything else.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2149
Michael, stock alternator will give you 60A - 75A the most, and half or more of that is used by your car's electrical components.
Your only solution is to get HO alternator.
However, if you're willing to use self control and have the volume level around 15, then you'll do fine with a 1F - 2F capacitor.

nick_sq
Unregistered guest
1.Antenna adaptor ~ $10
2. First check your charging system at a garage, if it checks out ok then fine...your lights will dim a bit, thats just a fact of owning an amplifier..as long as it doesnt look like your flshing your brights on the highway i wouldn't worry about slight dimming...not everyone can afford to install a high output altenator just because their lights are dimming a bit, i would put in a cap and see how well tat helps seeing as you said its only 'slight' dimming, it may help a bit..i would never install a cap in an overdrawn charging system, but i dont think your charging system is overdrawn - so see if a cap helps any
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us