Amp door speakers?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 268
I just had my 4 Volfenhag door speakers installed (350W each), and my 2 Volfenhag 12" subs as well as my Audiobahn A8000T mono amp. The problem I'm having is that I'm lacking overall sound from the door speakers since the bass pounds over them. The big problem is that I turn the bass down on the amp, and not ENOUGH bass, and car stereo won't cut that much bass output. I turn amp bass up, and car stereo bass, and get way too much bass. If I leave bass down on car stereo though, door speakers don't get enough bass lol. Should I A: Amp the door speakers, or B: Get an equalizer? I'm getting one of these - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VdT7YNQCFFb/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=070XDV8125
as my head unit pretty soon, but still feel I will have a similar problem. I have to get a cap for my sub amp so that I can run a light 4 channel amp or equalizer. Someone help me as to which would be best, amp or EQ.

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 379
TB, you've been around here enough to know that Dual is crap - it's a Wal Mart brand. granted, that's a nifty product, but the SQ will be terrible and it will probably break with a year.

what's the RMS rating of those door speakers? that "350W" rating is probably a max rating, which is simply a marketing ploy and should be ignored. find out what the RMS rating is and buy an amp for those speakers from a good brand from this list. that is the only way for your speakers to keep up with your subs. an EQ wont help you at this point.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 824
Yep, back in the day if you wanted to take full advantage of your equipment the general rule of thumb was nearly equal power for both mids/highs and subs.

This was back when 400 watts rms was a helluva lot of power and very expensive as well, but it still tickles me when I see guys powering their subs with 1000+ watt amps and yet still run their mids off the h/u.

I guess it all depends on whether you're into a lot of noise for impressing your high school buds or a well balanced in-car musical experience.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
Ok then, how about this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-P5CKWQmn19o/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62600&id=morepho tos&pi=2&i=130AVHP570&display=XL#Tab

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
I ask, since the link JW left doesn't work for me, it requires a log in.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3586
"This was back when 400 watts rms was a helluva lot of power and very expensive as well, but it still tickles me when I see guys powering their subs with 1000+ watt amps and yet still run their mids off the h/u."

Can't remember how many times someone asked "That amp is powering your speakers, WTF?" :-)

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 831
Ok then, how about this one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/I-recsc999/S-P5CKWQmn19o/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=62600 &id=morephotos&pi=2&i=130AVHP570&display=XL#Tab

Dude.... if you want your door speakers to have ANY chance of keeping up with your subs FEED THEM SOME POWER. There's not a h/u out there that going to help you out in this situation.

Forget that cap crap and get yourself a good amp. If powering another amp is a problem then a H.O. alternator may be in order, but no amount of caps or batteries will help you out there.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: Iceflamekilla

Hartford, CT

Post Number: 11
I can see what Fishy is saying but it seems to me that since your looking for new head units that you prolly have a stock HU in there right now. Stock units only put out no more than 10 watts rms and even thats pushing it. I usually tell people see what it sounds with a new head unit. Something like an Alpine CDA-9833 puts out 26 watts RMS to each channel, an incredible difference if you have a stock HU. But if you already have an aftermarket Head unit, then definitely find yourself an amp. You'll prolly need it in the long run anyway.

Bronze Member
Username: Kronik

Post Number: 16
You need to amp those speakers. There are a number of 4-ch's out there; they can be expensive sometimes though, check the JL 300/4 out.. I have a Zapco 1000.4. There's a lot out there. Do a search for 4 channel in the amplifier section at caraudio.com.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Ok then, when I had my sub amp installed, it used an up to 1400W multi amp wiring kit. Should the installer still be able to use that amp kit in order to run a 4 ch. amp? Also, for the moment I have a stock HU, running to my amp. The sub amp has outputs I believe, so that should cover sending the audio signal to another amp correct? I was thinking about a cap since taking the strain off of the sub amp, and then basically adding it back on with the 4 ch. amp, which obivously will not be TOO powerful.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us