Are Enclosures Important?

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 180
okay, first off I know that enclosures are extremely important but i needed to get ur attention. I have some questions about boxes. Is MDF the best to use? I read that plywood and MDF are best to use, and not to use stuff like say oak wood. also, can a ported enclosure be completely carpeted? I wasn't sure if it would interfere with the port, etc. I also previously asked this but I wanted more opinions. when porting a box holding two subs, does it matter where the port is located on the box?

Also are there any other materials that I need and around how much would the MDF or any other wood cost? Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Tragedy

San Jose, CA

Post Number: 157
Q#1.. in most cases
Q#2.. completely carpeted? Like inside the visable port?
Q#3.. the port location is not as important as the size. Keep it clear from obstructions. Inside the enclosure keep the end at least one port diameter away from sides or subwoofer.
Q#4.. Go to home depot and ask for MDF costs vary. (liquid nails or wood glue, screws, 1 drill bit to predrill holes and another to counter sink, silicone to seal joints)

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 619
To add to what tragedy said. Do not use plywood for a enclosure. You can use it for amp racks, and other things. (I do in alot of my installs since it is lighter than mdf) but do not use it for the speaker box itself.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 155
polyurethane wood glue(home depot) works a lot better than liquid nails, its about 50 cents more than liquid nails but well worth it. a lot stronger and dries quicker. as for the port, don't cover it or carpet the inside of your port. If your making a box for two subs then you 've got to divide in half, to give each subs its space.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3567
If you were to use plywood, it would need to be marine grade birch plywood. While plywood has a higher strength/weight ratio, it is also more resonant and in a car where you can't build the optimum ratio box, the material matters. Birch plywood is also a lot of green for a sub box and I'd feel guilty paying that much for a sub box when it offers less than desired results.

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 223
Also make sure the glue you use dries and airs out before installing the subs. The chemicals can eat at the surrounds and ruin your sub.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 181
thats exactly what I thought. on the port I meant like the whole outside of the box and around the port but not inside the port. I just dont see many carpeted ported boxes w/ slot ports thts why I asked. Also, it would be really stupid to use cherry or oak wood or something like that etc. right. I got friends recommending that stuff, but i dont think its wise.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 182
oh and Max divide what in half? like give each sub its own port?

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 333
He's talking about putting a barrier between the two subs so they aren't sharing the same air space. So if one blows, you're not running one sub in double the air space. If you're porting it, you'd give each sub its own port and own air space.
Yea, you want use MDF as the material for the box.

Silver Member

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 185
hmmm. okay, so its not smart to run both using one port
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us