Should I downsize?

Username: Hudat

Post Number: 1
Heres the deal. When I got my first car awhile back, I got all new speakers for it so I got pioneer 6x9s for the back and the front was 3.5 inch ones on the dash corners so I got a couple infinity ones. They cost me $100 and thats twice as much as i paid for the pioneer rears. Now I am getting a '94 grand prix which uses 5 1/4 inch speakers in the front doors. I was thinking of just getting a couple of 5 1/4 pioneer speakers for the doors and ditching the infinitys since they are too small to fit anywhere in there. I heard alot about infinity being so great and clear and all that and was wondering if it would be better to get a couple 5 1/4 pioneers(cause i dont want to spend over a hundred bucks on a pair of pioneers again) or get a plate and resise the hole and just install my infinity ones. Or would getting bigger pioneer ones be better. I was also wondering how Good those 12" sony pentagon subs were. I heard some good reviews on them and wondering how they are compared to rockford fosgate or mtx. Thanks.

Username: Hudat

Post Number: 2
correction: (cause i dont want to spend over a hundred bucks on a pair of pioneers again)

I meant infinitys

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 44
in my opinion the infinities are worth the money. but thats just me. i have 5 1/4inch component set, and they've been great to me. I had crappy pioneers before that i paid like 40$ for, I will never spend less than 100 for my speakers again. it's danm well worth it.

that is my two cent...sorry if it was no help.

goon

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 63
I would try to sell all the speakers you currently own. After that use the money to get a single pair of (if on a tight budget under $80 and no external amp) Infinity reference coaxils, (if you have a few bucks i.e. $150 plus external amp) go with a good pair of budget components (infinity kappa or similar). Get rid of all the exra speakers in the car. This will allow your front speakers to create a stage effect in front of you. Also more than one set of speakers can interfer with each other and cancel out small bits of frequencies thus not allowing the music to be heard the way it was recorded. It may sound funny at first, but you will get use to it. I did, and the music is much clearer now. As far as the subs go, DO NOT GET SONY. Beyond that throw a post over in the sub section. They will help you out.

Bronze Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 51
your not gonna find a good pair of RF components for less then $100.... unless you find a good deal on EBAY.

Bronze Member
Username: Bobo123

Post Number: 70
Maybe I missed somthing but where did RF components come into the picture? If for some reason you are interested in RF components, I would suggest you consider another brand. You can do much better for the same price tag.

Bronze Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 54
Well i saw RF up top, and was just mentioning. And yeah i maybe able to do better...but im not even gonna lie, and say im the loudest around...or anything like that, but im willing to put my car components up against alot of speakers, i have to say they are great. They have awesome SQL, and are very loud.

Bronze Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 35
Infinity's are much better than Pioneers. You can pick up refrences for cheap, hell I bought a pair at Circuit City for $90. You may want to look into Polk coaxials too. If at all possible, buy a small amp and some cheap CDT or Infinity comps. May cost more money, but it sure as heck is worth it.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 129
Pioneer coaxals to me seem like factory replacements, not any kind of upgrade. Polk and Infinity make some good coaxals , so does Alpine and Boston and any of the above in seperates would be better but possible a lil more involved. there are other brands as well of course, just listen to as many suggested brands as you can, pick what you like.

oh and if anyone is interested, i have 2 pair of Apline Type S 6.5 coaxals layin around. used for like 3 months off of HU power before i upgraded to components in kick panels. will sell for $35 a pair plus shipping.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us