Looking for some Amplifier help

Username: Eride

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, well I am pretty new to the car audio scene, I have used mostly a single sub setup with a mono amp in the past. I am looking to expand my system and I need some help. I am wondering if the Alpine MRD-M605 Amplifier would power my subs properly. The specs on the amp are
Number of Channels 1 - Mono
RMS Power (4 ohms) 300 watts x 1 chan.
RMS Power (2 ohms) 600 watts x 1 chan.
RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable
Bridged RMS Power Not Bridgeable
Peak Power Output 1200 watts approx.
Min. Impedance Unbridged 2 ohms
Min. Impedance Bridged Not Bridgeable

I am looking to push this sub setup... With 2 Coustic Cf1044 subs
400 Watts RMS/800 Watts Peak Music Power
Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coils

Just wondering if I would be alright, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Eride

Username: La2lvtom

Post Number: 10
I am not familiar with that amp but from your description you are going to run into a small problem. With the subs being dual 4 ohm your amp will see either a 4 ohm load (series/parallel the coils) or a 1 ohm load (series all 4 coils together). The amp cannot take a 1 ohm load so that is out of the question and if you give it a 4 ohm load you will only get 300 watts to the subs. It almost seems that your best bet would be to see if you can get these subs in a single 4 ohm voice coil configuration that way the amp will see a 2 ohm load. Hope this helps, Tom

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2172
You have 2 4ohms DVC subs. It will give you 16 ohms, 4 ohms, and 1 ohm loads.
Alpine amp is not 1 ohm stable, so you have to run it as 4ohms.

Post Number: 2
"in a single 4 ohm voice coil configuration that way the amp will see a 2 ohm load. Hope this helps, Tom"

So how would I wire that setup, I am going to be purchasing the subs in a loaded box,
http://www.coustic.com/products/subwoofers/enclosuresCF10X2A.cfm

Thanks again for the help, if this amp is not my best bet, what would be a good alternative for under $250

Eride

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2123
you need an amp that will push either 800 at 4ohms or 800 at 1ohm. Try to find an Orion HCCA 250, you might be able to find one for around $250 if you are patient. If your head unit has a built in x-over then you can get the 250r for $250 easily. Great amps by the way:-)

Post Number: 3
I have a Pioneer dehp7600 Head unit, not sure if it has a cross over or not. I have no experience with Orion, but they come highly reccommended?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2125
yup it does! I would gen an Orion 250 if I were you. Look for the 250G4 but you will prob have trouble finding one for that price. I just got mine for $275shipped but I had to wait on it. If you are patient you can find one for around your price. If you cant find a G4 get a 250r or a competition,or digital reference they are all nice amps.

Post Number: 4
Where would be a good place to look. apart from ebay? I am located in the great white north in Canada. Thanks again for all your input, it is really appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
I just went to that website and checked it out. If you are planning to purchase the coustic preloaded enclosure ( CF10X2A ) tha Alpine amp will only push 300 watts RMS, the enclosure is setup for 4 ohm from the factory. My best suggestion for an amp would be to do some research on the major brands websites. Try Kicker, JL Audio, Directed Electronics, Precision Power, Orion, Alpine, Rockford, Audiobahn, MTX... Do yorself a favor and stay away from less expensive amps which promise mega watts but actually give out mega distortion and low watts. Look for an amp that will do around 500 to 600 watts at 4 ohm mono, that much power should push that enclosure pretty well. Hope this helps, Tom

Post Number: 5
Would it be possible to change that setup to a 2 ohm load? Or is that impossible with 2 DVC subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Unfortunately with the subs that are peloaded into that enclosure you could reconfigure the voice coils to a 1 ohm load or leave at a 4 ohm load but not get a 2 ohm load and I dont recommend you to reconfigure to a 1 ohm load because you will have to get into a quality 1 ohm stable class D amp and I honestly don't think you will find one at your $250.00 price point. Keep the enclosure at 4 ohm and research a quality class A/B 2 channel amp that will do 500 to 600 watts at 4 ohm bridged. Hope this helps, Tom

Post Number: 6
500-600 watts rms at 4OHM's? Suggest a good amp for me, I only have experience with Pioneer, Alpine and Clarion. Thanks

Post Number: 7
How about the Alpine v12 MRV 1505
Pushes 900 rms @ 4ohms a bit older but I can buy it for 200, good deal?

xajeaiale
Unregistered guest
I still have my XTANT 1001 for sell askin 700.00 OBO. Still has warranty from manufacture defects. call (425) 985-5415 if interested or email me.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us