THIS IS MAKING ME MAD<<<HELP>>>GLASSWOLF

Bronze Member
Username: Daniel_s

Post Number: 31
The tensil leads to my 10" l5 solo-baric ripped off the woofer again! i have a rockford fosgate 401s amp going to each of my solobarics. The subs are rated 450 RMS max, my amps pull around 425 each. The only thing causing this is overexcursion, but i don't hear clipping so the gain's not set too high! Pleaz help

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
this is the 3rd time that it has happened

loud and low
Unregistered guest
its called poor build quality

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1295
well, the gains won't cause over excursion. they'd cause a canting in linear travel, so the cone would tilt, per se, and rub the coils along the magnet, shredding the coils.. not tearing leads.
I'm not sure what's going on here.
is this a sealed or vented box?
if the box is ported, it may be tuned too low or the subsonic filter may not be working to prevent the subs going below the tuned freq, and this would cause your over-excursion, and possible lead damage.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
this is in the sealed box, it comes with the sub its called the truck sealed box thingy, remember this is me with the jeep. man, i dun know
this is makin me mad, three times this crap has happened, and they said that it happens very rarely..help

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1297
maybe change to L7s, or different subs all together.. That's about all I can suggest from "remote" at this point.

is there a bass boost on the amp that's enabled or something that could cause the amp to overdrive the sub?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
yes i do have a bass boost on my amps, is that the problem? I usually keep that on max, and use the volume on the hu....

Username: Shouder

Post Number: 7
Another thing you could try is turing up the bass on the hu. and then turn it down on the amp itself. Just a thought that might work.

Anonymous

Let me guess.....Ebay subs right???...if the subs are getting that much overexcursion they should be distorting realy bad.....and prolly bottoming out....run about a 55hz-65hz sine wave to em and see if they get overexcursion....i have a sine you can get a sine wave generator on the internet....cooledit has one you can get the sample version free........it ya need any sine wave frequency email me....i'll send ya one

southern_rebel_inla@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
nah man, they are from crutchfield. But i think i got it figured out, when i bridge my amp it creates near 800 watts rms(regulary 400rms) at 1 ohm and since the subs i had were 2 ohm that would be around 600 watts rms when they are supposed to be maxed out at 450? right? well they really weren't distorted that i noticed. But ah well. Glasswold i decided to get(i have one right now) the l7 10 inch 4 OHM. What will that do?

Anonymous

if ya have two 401s then they each produce about 400 watts @4ohms bridged....if your running a solobaric to each amp and the solos are dvc 4ohm then the amps you have are not a good match for your subs...you cant get the 4 ohm load to each amp like you need to get 400watts each...

if the subs are dvc 2ohm then you have the perfect amps...you can just wire each sub in series to get two 4 ohm loads and wire one sub to each amp you'll get 400 watts out of each amp

in other words ....you cant do what needs to be done to your 401s's with out a pair of dvc 2ohm subs you dont need the L7 10inch sub unless u plan to buy another just like it and get a 1200 watt RMs amp....those L7 10's are 600 watt and the L5 10's are 450 watt...

if ya go with the L7 10inch dvc 4ohm subs then get somthing like a JBL BP 1200.1 or a KX1200.1

i have the smaller version of the JBL bp1200.1.....the 600.1

its great on my L5 12...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
wait, i have my 401s amp bridged and the 4 ohm sub is in series, i was told this was one of the best setups

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
yah the amp is...400 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms in bridged mode ...on the neet

Anonymous

do you have one 401S, or two???

if you have two amps and have one sub on each amp then your subs need to be dvc 2 ohm or single 4 ohm....that way you can get a a 4 ohm load to your amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
i have 2 401s amps each leading to a 4ohm sub(i have 2 subs each powered by one amp)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us