AUDIOBAHN ALUM15Q SUBWOOFER

Username: Lk_r_i_s_t_y

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 7
I was just wondering if the Audiobahn Alum15Q was a good choice for a subwoofer??

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 236
I personaly wouldnt vouch for audiobahn. Supposedly the alums are one of their better lines. Have u purchased it yet?

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 8
Yes i have but i havent gotten to listen to it because my amp is acting up.... :-(

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 239
well the alum series is the best sounding series that audiobahn makes, and that sub should have decent spl. Whats wrong with your and what kinda of box do u plan on using?

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 9
My amp...it will not power on the "normal way"...it will only power on..if i touch the remote terminal and power terminal at the same time with the REMOTE wire...its weird...my second amp is doing the exact same thing as well...and i have a sealed enclosure for the subwoofer...

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 661
Sounds like your remote wire has become disconnected/cut or you h/u isn't providing it enough voltage. Back in the day we'd get that problem every once in a while and could sometimes fix it using a relay like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F002%5F013%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D226

If you have access to a multimeter check the voltage off the remote wire at the amp and maybe the h/u while your system is running.

-Fishy

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 10
I have been told that is the problem..but im scared to try to mess with it myself..i might make it worse...i think i am going to take it to an audio store and see what they can do...

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
The problem is simple, the remote wire is dead for whatever reason...maybee is has become disconnected or pinched somewhere between the head unit and the amp. What i started doing is running a constant +12 volt line directly off the battry for the remote wire, and switching it at the dash...that was if for some reason you want the subs off, then just turn them off. Works great, and i can run neon lights and video stuff of the same line without cooking the headunit.

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 665
If you're scared to mess with it if possible get whoever installed your system to help out. Might be a lot cheaper and more effective as well.

If you did it yourself just pull out the h/u and attach another wire to the remote lead and temporarily run it to your amp(across your seats or whatever). If that fixes it then run it more permanent like. Thats the simplest solution/test I can think of if you don't have a multimeter.

I used to do the remote wire to the ignition at the fusebox thing, but it's usually more trouble than its worth and if you screw up and hook it to a constantly on 12 volt source your amp(s) will be on all the time and could kill your battery if your car sits for a long time.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 11
I did pull out my HU about 2 days ago...and i re ran the remote wire to the remote lead..and the amp still didnt come on..and i tried the Acc. wire as well..and the amp still wouldnt come on..so i just left it alone..i have been told i could have used the cigarette lighter wire..but i didnt mess with all that...cuz im really notta pro at this kinda stuff...

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 12
But if i was to take it to the audio place..and they cant seem to get the amp to power on..directly from my headunit..will they try other methods ? such as what Nick said....or maybe a Relay or whatnot...??

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 77
probably tell u your amp is screwed and just happen to have something to replace it in stock.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
SOme amps are just power hunry on the remote terminal, i dunno why, but i had this problem with an old kenwood 4 channel, but if i gave it a strong 12 volts, it came on. Test the remote line with a test light (or a multimeter) and see if there is power when the HU is on, maybee is fried a little diode in the deck and it no longer puts out power?

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 669
If you can get the amp to come on by jumping 12 volts directly from your power wire then there is hope. You really need a multimeter or a test light or something to see if you're getting ANY voltage from your remote wire. If you are try the relay thing I mentioned above:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5 F011%5F002%5F013%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D226

Hook it from the power wire to the remote input on the amp and use your remote wire to "trigger" it. It will do basically the same thing that you did, i.e. it will complete a circuit between your power wire and the remote input on the amp. It just will do it whenever you power on your h/u. It's kind of strange that two separate amps are having the same problem(they the same brand?) and that the acc trick didn't work. I hope you didn't use the SAME remote wire for the acc thing. It could be bad.

I don't know what else to tell you. The main thing is to verify you have voltage on the remote wire and go from there. If you don't have a test light or multimeter any 12v light bulb will do. Just touch the the end of the remote wire to the copper/brass side of the bulb and touch the center of the base to ground(bare metal on your car's chassis). If you have light you have voltage, maybe not enough to turn on your amp, but it should take very little to trigger that relay.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 13
I am sure that would fix my problem...but im just not good with electronics so i doubt myself when it comes to me fixin it myself..thats why im hoping...if i was to take it to an audio place...they can do those things for me..but like u said..they might try to sell me another amp and just tell me my amp is broken...

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 14
Also..how come u couldnt run ya remote wire straight from the car battery?? that wouldnt work?? if u CANT do that ....can i just test my remote wire out like that to see if that will turn on my amp..just to try

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1764
If you ran a remote wire straight from your battery you'd have a constant 12 volt source. The whole point of a remote wire is to turn the amp on and off. When you turn the Head Unit off, the current going through the remote wire is shut off, and the amp powers down.

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 272
but u could run a wire from your batt through a switch at the dash for the remote.

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
ya, i already mentioned that. I would do just that kristy. Feed a long peice of 16 guage wire (u can pick it up cheap from anywhere really) run it along with your power wire so you know where to feed it through the firewall, get the wire up to the dash where you will install a 2 dollar toggle switch, and from there run it to your amp. Oh and fuse the line with a 5 to 20 amp fuse (just get a basic fuse holder these are like 2 bucks) connect that near the battery, and finally, when all said and done...connect it to the + on the battery (make sure you do this last to make sure there are no shorts)

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 273
And if that doesnt work, God help you.

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 15
Okay, this morning...i ran the remote wire from my battery directly to my remote terminal to see if that would jus power on my amp...and it wouldnt at all...im just wondering...shouldnt my car battery turn that amp on...??i know the battery would have made it constantly stay on...but i wasnt going to leave it that way..i just did that to see if the amp would simply power on ...and it didnt

Silver Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 275
did u have the positive, negative and remote all connected? U must have all three to turn on the amp.

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 16
yes i did...but today i went to my friends house..and i unhooked her amp..and hooked my amp to all her wires..and my amp came right on...so somethin in my car is not right...i went today and bought a brand new wiring kit and i am going to take my car to the audio shop and let them re do everything...

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 696
Okay, this morning...i ran the remote wire from my battery directly to my remote terminal to see if that would jus power on my amp...and it wouldnt at all...

Please tell me you didn't use your original remote wire to do that.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 17
No it was a different remote wire...but it had been used in the past and looked a lil beat up...but yesterday like i said..i went and bought a brand new wirin kit..and i re ran every single wire..hooked the remote wire up to my blue wire in my HU and the amp cuts on now...so that means my HU remote wasnt bad from the get go...i think it was my power wire..cuz when i went to pull on the old power wire to get it outta my car....it came right apart at the fuse...so im thinkin the power wire wasnt sturdy at the fuse block....anywayz it works now, yall....Thank yall soo much :D:D

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 18
Oh and by the way...back to my original question " Is the Audiobahn Alum15Q a good choice for a subwoofer??" ....Well, that subwoofer bangs HARD...it maybe because i have such a small car but it has my back seat panels rattling and it seems like my rear view mirror is gonna fall off soon... it will make ya heart feel weird ....make ya ears vibrate...its just BANGIN...ive gotten a buncha compliments from people ..and i dont even have half of the watts that sub can handle actually goin to it....audiobahn did a good job with this sub...Go get yall one :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 39
i highly doubt that i will buy an audiobahn cause my friend has 2 15's {don't know wat model} and my 2 12 inch kicker cvrs smoke them so bad its not even funny

Bronze Member

South Carolina USA

Post Number: 19
Well i will say some audiobahn subs do suck...i had two 12inch audiobahn subs before this one 15..and they blew only after bout 3 months and they really didnt even hit hard...but audiobahn did a decent job with this sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us