Amp upgrade question

Username: Nutshmeg

Post Number: 5
I'm running some old amps and subs and wonder if upgrading my bass amp is going to be worth the expense.

Here is the system currently:

Apple Ipod (HU)
1 - Kenwood 2 way crossover
2 - Kenwood 9020 amps (90W per channel X2)
2 - Fosgate XLC 4 ohm 10's rated at 200rms/400peak
2 sets of Infinity Kappa components, 5-1/4, and 6-1/2

The components amp is barely over a 1/4 on the amp gain, running @ 8 ohms while the subs, the amp gain is maxed running at 4 ohms. The subs are in a ported, seperated, wedge enclosure with the subs about 2" apart at the center of it, behind the seat of a standard cab full size chevy truck.

This is just a "commuter" system. I'm thinking about the amp upgrade because to get it to hit hard I have to crank it, and I know the amp is just huffing out dirty current at that level.

This is what the manual I found online for the amps states:

MAX OUTPUT: 4 OHMS = 100W(X2)
MAX RATED OUTPUT: 4 OHMS = 140W(X2)
RATED OUTPUT: 4 OHMS = 100(X2)

If the subs are 200w rms and I feed them with a 400w amp, I should be good to go?

Infinity/JBL or Fosgate are probably going to be the source of my new amp. I can get a deal on them, but, if you can think of something with a small footprint that will put out 400w either a 4ohms with 2 channels, or 2 ohms with 1 channel.

The 2 channel 4 ohm config will give me better sound quality, but the amp will be bigger?

Username: Abew330

Camarillo, Ca Usa

Post Number: 10
i would just upgrade the subs, take out the crossover, put in a eq, and maybe get a better amp kenwood is alright.. remember u dont need a lot of watts
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us