Are the Alpine type-X bad subs?

Username: Kurtis471364

Grapevine, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
I have two of them in a camaro powered by MRD-M1001(1000 RMS) alpine amp and i have had 2 of them blow. just started making a crapy niose and then poof the amp kicks off and says current. and the other sub has been working fine. this is all in like 3 weeks. but i heard about the type-s having these problems blowing cuz alpine did not let the glue on the VC dry good. and in the cold they tend to bust it loose.

plz tell me if yall have ever heard of this and if u have had the same type of an issue. thanx curtis

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 310
Do the sub smell like they were burnt afterwards? If so, you probably have your gain too high and that's why you're blowing subs like it's your job.
Also, do you let the subs break in a little bit before you play them full blast? That may help as well. Play them at below half volume for a few weeks and that could help as well.
Otherwise, it sounds like you're getting the sh!t end of the stick on subs.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 311
Oops sorry for the run on sentence... The mind works way faster than the fingers lol

Bronze Member
Username: Alpineuser

Post Number: 81
alpine type x's are 1000rms each 500 per coil u are underpowering them alot

Grapevine, Tx Usa

Post Number: 2
gain was only at half way ...and i have broke in many subs

Grapevine, Tx Usa

Post Number: 3
i have 1 mrd m1001 on eact sub witch are 1000 rms
i think i just got some bad subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
oh sorry read u wrong thought u said u had 2 my bad

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
what size box do u have it in?

Grapevine, Tx Usa

Post Number: 4
its a 2 sub box that are sealed for each 1 ...almost 1.5 cbft for each sub with fiber fill

Grapevine, Tx Usa

Post Number: 5
but i have 1 good one that runs great and never had any problems with it. thats why i think i just got part of a bad batch or something u know

Nick_sq
Unregistered guest
My first type X 10 i blew because it wasnt broken in (i also ran an mrd 1000) ....with my type x 12's I set them up in my garage playing a bass cd at low volumes for about 3 or 4 hours gradually getting louder. I run an orion 2500D, 2500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm...seems to be enough power, but i know for a fact that a single alpine 1000 watter is not enough power...you are only pushing 50% of their reccomended RMS power. Probly even less considering its an alpine amp (alpine cant make amps worth crap...but their subs hammer!) Try running only 1 type X 12 in a vented box... It will most likely sound better then 2 with the amp you are running. I know my X 12's sound like hell on a rockford 1000 watt monoblock, so im guessing a combination of not brealing them in, and clipping the hell out if them leads to their destruction.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us