Mb quart comps.

Bronze Member
Username: Scab12886

Post Number: 48
i was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference between the mb quart premiums and the q series? also is a JL 300/2 a good amp for either of those sets? also is there a better set out there for around the same price range? infinity? adire? dls?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 49
sorry for the double post everyone...i didnt think the first one went through.

Bronze Member
Username: Phx

Post Number: 26
i have quart premiums on a jl 300/2, it suits me perfectly. I haven't heard the Q's installed, but they sound better on the board in the store, but I wasn't about to pay twice as much for the difference. if you got the loot for Q, you might want to look at dynaudio as well, and keep in mind that they can sound much different in-car. a lot of people in here don't like quart, but I -LOVE- mine, so it's all subjective

Anonymous

Hey phx Im about to trade in my JL XR's on the MB Quart premiums I also have a 300/2 amp but the XR tweeters shut off if you turn them up, do your premiums do the same.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
thanks phx. im kinda leanin towards the premiums. i had looked at dynaudios and i like the dls iridium 6.2 also. i really just cant decide whether to get something with a hard metal tweeter (mb quart) or a soft silk tweeter (dyn or dls). i dont know how big of a difference it would be or if i would even hear a difference. thanks for your input though.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3146
Huge difference in the sound actually. You'll just have to listen to them and see what you prefer.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
thanks jon. im going this weekend to a shop that sells infinity and focal. i think that this may help my decision because the focal's have a silk tweeter i believe, i may be wrong in that. i hope they do as that would give me an opportunity to hear a set with the silk tweeter. reading about the dls iridium 6.2 set i really like them. i think they also have the soft tweeter and cost some more money. do you think they are worth the price diff. as compared to the premiums? i realize these may be a lot of arbitrary/subjective questions but i really cant decide as to which set to put my money in to. hopefully hearing the focals this weekend will help. and any further input from you or any others is greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
ok i just looked at another website and maybe i was wrong about the focal's having a silk tweeter, if i was reading it right it was saying titanium tweeter. so maybe im back at square 1 after all. any input from anyone is still greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3149
The Focals do have a titanium tweeter, they aren't as bright as the MB Quarts, though. The DLS components and Dynaudios, etc. have a very laid back sound, similar to what you'd experience with a high quality home audio setup. Whether that is what you're after or not I don't know, but IMO they are definately worth every penny spent.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
thanks jon. at the moment i think i am somewhat leaning toward the dls. i hope to find a shop somewhere that has a set with a silk tweeter. if i were to get the dls set with the silk tweeter i dont think i would be disappointed. i have gotten away from the heavier rock and listen mainly to alternative now. bands like taking back sunday, blink 182, dave matthews band, that sort of sound. i do sometimes throw in some linkin park or music of that nature, and some rap when i feel like it. im hoping a soft tweeter set would be alright with these types of music, maybe not so much the rap, im not sure obviously. thanks again for your input, any more is greatly appreciated.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3152
Just remember that you can't just listen to any set with a silk tweeter and assume others will sound similar. There are harsh silks out there just like there are balanced metal domes out there. If you want to get a feel of the DLS and Dynaudio sets, try to listen to Dynaudio home speakers sometime, there are a fair amount of Dynaudio dealers out there, especially home audio. It will give you an idea of the timbre and tonality of their car lines. The DLS components are a tad more "lively" sounding than the Dynaudios, the Dynaudios are very laid back. Really these sets are capable of handling any type of music, it's whether you like the sound of it or not. The neutral sets don't tend to do as well with hard rock and rap, it's not the fault of the speakers, it's because that music typically has a muddy sound to it, and the speakers bring that out.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 212
IM thinking about going with the MB Quart PCE 213 or 216's. They are awesome componants from what i keep hearing. Trying to find a componant set to compliment my ppi a300.2 white art amplifier. Any input is appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Skaman272

Post Number: 17
the MBquart also have titanium tweeters all 4 series do... they are the best speakers i have ever owned! Q series!!! Right on!

Silver Member

Post Number: 217
I guess jonathan disagrees with you about the mb quart compared to the perfects.

Silver Member

Post Number: 218
OK so should i go with MB quart PCE-216 or the Infinity Perfects??? need help choosing one. I listen to mostly rap and electronica. I want the best sound possible.

Bronze Member
Username: Skaman272

Post Number: 18
My buddy has the MBquart premiums and listens to all styles of music; rock, rap, jazz, metal, techno, and everything sounds amazing on them. They give a nice "punchy" when it comes to bass. They are very clear, and have well full bodies sound. I own the Q series, and will swear by them. I can't say the same for the kappa perfects (although they are quite nice)

JL
Unregistered guest
i have DLS separates. not the iridium though. but it sound great. the imaging is superior. tweets are great coz u get the mid frequencies so it won't sound annoying. for the midbass part, it's good. u get to know which drum was struck when u listen to alternative songs. DLS is also not that expensive.

Silver Member

Post Number: 227
whats a good componant set if your running 2 13w6 subs..

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3450
To clarify, I like the MB Quart Q series are better than the Perfects, but I like the Perfects better than the Premiums. Just a personal preference, not an end all/be all statement. In all honesty, I'm really not a fan of the Quarts or the Perfects, overly bright tweeters for my tastes and the mids aren't quite as neutral and transparent as other sets. I also prefer the imaging of other sets better. Overall I don't feel they're as natural as sets such as Dynaudios, Rainbows, and DLS. Again, that's just my personal taste coming into play, so take my opinion for what it's worth as your tastes will be different.

Silver Member

Post Number: 239
So if im running 2 jl13w6's in the trunk what kinda componant set should i work with upfront?? Ill be running my ppi art a300.2 for the componants..thanks

ArchieGates
Unregistered guest
This is proof that people hear things differently. I just had a full system put in with MB Quart PCE 216's in the front and RSD 216's in the back, and I don't like the sound at all. Super harsh tweeters with the midrange really lacking. I don't like hearing ride cymbals more than lead singers!

Anyway, the weird thing is that I went to my local store and listened to the JL Audio XR series and like them better than MB or Boston. I learned my listen. Nobody can tell you what the right speakers are for you - you have to listen to them for yourself. What I hate about the MB Quarts, someone else might love.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us