Where to ground?

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 82
Is it better to ground to the chassis or the battery? I know everybody says to ground to the chassis, but I think that's because the battery is under the hood and we don't want to run a +12V and a ground cable all the way from the amp in the back to the battery up front. I have seen it mentioned though (grounding to the battery), but I can't find where right now. Anyways, my dilemma is that I have a BMW and the battery is in the trunk anyway, so it's just as easy for me to do either... so which is better or does it matter?

Bronze Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 81
It is best to have a ground wire about 18" long or so. It is always better to ground to the chassis. Corrosion builds up easier on the ground terminal on the battery. If you ground it to the chassis, you are less likely to have this problem. Where does the ground wire from the ground post on the battery go?... To the chassis

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Okay, so if you have an amp and a capacitor can they both ground to the same spot or should they be separate?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 112
I don't think it matters but I would ground them separate but right beside each other. The ground from the amp and the ground from the cap is a lot of wires to try to ground to one place.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Do I need to ground to the actual base frame, or just anywhere on the body that is metal?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us