I have a problem ive never seen or heard before....

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1135
ok, i just got done deadening my whole trunk, and i want to test it, right. since i dont have my god damn amp(another story) i used a friends. i hooked it up perfect, yhe way it should be, and the bass i got felt it was out of phase or something, it was real boomy and was off. so i went SH!T what is wrong? i flipped the speaker wire thinking i wired it backwards, and i got the same response. i almomst blew my sub. so i stopped.. then today i hook it up on my lil alpiine amp(mrp-t220) and i get the same response, at this point im pissed and cursing like a sailor(jlongo :-) ) so what i did is i unplugged one of the rcas and it sounded normal. so i didnt know what to do, so i checked my wiring again oon the sub, which is dvc 2 ohm which is wired to 1 ohm, and the wiring was correct. it doesnt matter which rca is plugged in put when just one is plugged in it sounds normal, and plays correct. i dont have the slightest idea what is wrong. im hoping that it is just my rccas but im scared that it is a voice coil or something, any input, jon, james, byrumjr, joe, or anyone with exp. help me out.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1904
dude I have absolutely no idea! check the volts coming out of your deck on each RCA with a multi meter and see if you are getting the proper output of each. It sounds like a RCA problem coming out of the deck or just maybe bad RCA's, does it sound good when either one is in likr if you have only the right in vs only the left in vs both. If it is one side that you can narrow it down to try to hook up a new set of RCA's and see what happens. if you have an extra pair and your Rca's are easily accessable then just run a set from the back of your deck to your amp over the seats and sh!t just to see what happens. I hope that is it cause if not I have absloutely no idea. I wonder if the problem has anything to do with why you have fried like 1000000000000 amps you Potty mouth Hooker!

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1904
dude I have absolutely no idea! check the volts coming out of your deck on each RCA with a multi meter and see if you are getting the proper output of each. It sounds like a RCA problem coming out of the deck or just maybe bad RCA's, does it sound good when either one is in likr if you have only the right in vs only the left in vs both. If it is one side that you can narrow it down to try to hook up a new set of RCA's and see what happens. if you have an extra pair and your Rca's are easily accessable then just run a set from the back of your deck to your amp over the seats and sh!t just to see what happens. I hope that is it cause if not I have absloutely no idea. I wonder if the problem has anything to do with why you have fried like 1000000000000 amps you Potty mouth Hooker!

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1138
i dont know. i think ill hook it up in my friends car and ill see what happens. i changed my ground wire too. maybe im getting interference from a bad connection, it was never like this until now. im thinking its either the rcas themselves or the ground. i hope to god it isnt my brahma, i will cry, and then my amp will come in and ill have an amp but no sub. i hate life

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1622
If when you unhook one rca it sounds fine, then it shouldn't be any thing with your Brahma. That wouldn't even make sense, unless you had like each voice coil going into a seperate channel.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3459
What kind of amplifier were you using? Most amplifiers can't handle a 1 ohm load like you said you have them wired for. Check over your RCAs and make sure there is nowhere that they are frayed, damaged, etc, and make sure they can't pick up inducted noise from the power lines. Also check the connection of the RCAs at the head unit. It's obviously not the amplifier as it occured between both, so you just have to work one step at a time to solve the problem. If you have a multimeter you can do continuity checks and also measure voltage output of the RCAs, amplifier, etc.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1627
Yeah, I never thought of that Hunter. What amp was you friends? You didn't bridge it did you?

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 74
I'm not totally sure how amps work, but maybe the RCA's are sending a stereo signal (different left and right signals) and the amp doesn't know how to combine them for one speaker.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1635
Even if it's a 2 channel stereo amp, when you bridge the amp the output will be a mono signal. Doesn't even matter if it's a stereo signal going into the amp or not. If it's bridged, then it'll be a mono signal.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Yeah, I'm just saying maybe that amp doesn't know how to turn a stereo signal into a stereo signal correctly. Maybe it's not as simple as just throwing the two together and that's what it is doing and the information in each signal is interfering with the other. I downloaded the manual for the MRP-T220 and it says you need to use a Y-adapter from a mono signal when bridging.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
oops, I mean turn a stereo signal into a MONO signal

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1637
Ohh. Hmm, good call Nick. Hunter, I bet that's your problem. The amp can't take the 2 channels from the rca's and make a mono signal. That explains why when he unplugs one rca it sounds a lot better. He could be actually running two stereo signals through the sub.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1638
So what do you do, put the adapter on the two rca's from the head unit, and then plug the single end into one spot on the amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
I think you have to use just one of the rca's from the HU, and use a Y-adapter to split it into two channels to plug into the amp. That way you can bridge the left and right because they are the same.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1639
Lol, I knew it would be the other way around.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
Usually the left channel (white RCA) is the mono signal, but what I can't figure out is why a head unit would have stereo subwoofer outs.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1640
Yeah, that really doesn't make sense. When the headunit has rca outs for subs, it's usually not a stereo signal, at least I don't think.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 635
Don't know what kid of amp your friend has, but that lil alpine amp isn't even stable bridged into 2 ohms, much less 1. A lot of amps use a summing amp when in bridged configuration which essentially doubles the signal voltage when both RCA's are hooked up which is analogous to doubling the gain on your amp. What's probably happening is your already completely overstressd amp is freaking out when you use both RCA's. If you have to use an amp that is only 2 ohm stable stereo and 4 ohm stable bridged you're gonna have to wire that brahma's voice coils in series and show the amp a 4 ohm load. The way you have it wired now that poor lil alpine is essentially trying to produce 800 watts at full volume and failing miserably. With that sub at 4 ohms it'll "try" 200 and end up giving you 140 according to the MRP-T220 specs I looked at here:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Alpine_MRP-T220_Car_Audio_Amplifier/display_~full_spe cs

Rewire that sucker until you get hold of a 1 ohm stable monoblock.

-Fishy

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 636
[edit] should be kind not kid. Sure wish we could edit these things.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1140
well thanks for the input, i know that that amp isnt 1 ohm stable but it took one for the team.i think it is either my ground or my rcas. because i GOT MY AMP TODAY(YAY:-) ) which is brutus bx1500. his was a rockford 1000bd, which is 1 ohm stable, and so is mine. i dont know what is wrong,but the amp would turn on now, and go to the song but instead of music i would get something like a 40 hertz test tone. i dont know crazy stuff. im kinda pissed but happy because my amp got here. it played good for a few minutes and damn, i think im in the mid 140s ifi do say so my self, and no rasttles what so ever, but i need to fix this problem or this sh!t is useless, its like beiing a man with no p.enis. but ill test with a multimeter, and replace my rcas.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1141
MRP-T220 and it says you need to use a Y-adapter from a mono signal when bridging.

this was the only amp it continually sounded good on. i feel like a newb, moreso then i am:-) thanks guys for your help....audiobahn any good?

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 639
lol, not too many newbs here with 1141 posts.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3464
Maybe he asked 1140 questions :-)

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 640
Thats a lot of questions. Wonder how many answers he got. :-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1149
well the only one i care about right now isnt getting answered!:-) you guys have any more input? most of my posts are from replying dirty things that james said.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1914
hahahahaha you dirt little A$$ l!cker. Dude I would get out the multi meter and start seeing where your problem is. I knew ytou would get your amp yesterday or today. You were hitting 140's with one rca damn dude that means you are gonna hit like 280 with 2 right? lol! ohh yeah and dude I highly recomend Audiobahn they KICK A$$!

Silver Member

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 641
I don't see how it could be your ground. Try another set of RCA's over the seat like james said. If that don't fix it your h/u might be fubar'd.

-Fishy

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1151
no that is with both rcas hooked up as.shole. you think you are so funny. you know what is funny though, is how subf will take quotes from here and use the exact words on carstereo.com and vise versa. ya tomorrw after work im going to see what it is, and i hope to god it isnt my brahma. that will be 150 bucks for a recone. im glad i have it though, its a lot louder then any of my past amps. soo sooo happy that my car doesnt rattle at all.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1156
ya i think you are right fishy.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1926
hahahahaha I know smart a$$. dude did you know on this damn forum you cant say likers but with a ck! how g@y is that

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1159
i clicked on your g@y and a picture of joe came up. how odd.........nha jk joe its sad here you cant say anythig bad, except god damn it

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1930
yeah seriously!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1645
When I clicked on the g@y my email opened up, but in the mail to spot it said hunterw86@yahoo.com ?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1160
joe your my e-male.....:-)

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1166
i found out what i needed to do. i had to ground onew of my rcas, and it worked, still kind of choppy bass though. should i ground both rcas do you think?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1666
Try it?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1168
kinda afraid. i also found out somewthing is wrong with my bass boost knob, line or port. i hook it up and my sub extends itself all the way out. really scary. really scary

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 1669
YEAH, lol. That's not cool. It's not going through over-excursion is it?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1169
oh it is bad, but its slow so it doesnt kill it. ive never seen my sub go out that far.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3469
What kind of head unit do you have?

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1170
a ghetto kenwood kdc-205. the thing is the only thing i have change in this setup is my amp, everything before worked just fine. i know jon i did my system backwords, should have started with the hu. im upgrading fairly soon though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3470
Typically it's a fault of the head unit or RCAs in your situation, you've got it narrowed down to the two since you had trouble with multiple amplifiers, so it can't be an overly sensitive input stage, failed potentiometer, anything of that sort. I doubt that head unit will put out enough RCA power to overdrive the input stage unless it is in extreme clipping somehow or the gain is set incorrectly, but I'm sure you have already tried that trick :-). I would start by setting the head unit to flat, making sure no boost is on, etc, and I believe that head unit doesn't have subwoofer outs with a crossover(can't remember though), so make sure the crossover is set somewhere on the amplifier, make sure the loudness isn't turned on on the head unit, and of course all EQ, boosts, etc. would be turned off on both the head unit and amp. If you're willing to and have a nice friend, try your sub and amp on a friends system to see if your head unit is the problem.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1171
ya we were going to do that tonight but he got called in to do an overnighter. but why would i have to ground one of my rcas, and should i do both. i still have choppy bass which is pissing me off. but i dont know why. i need to read more on head units.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us