PPI PCX1500 help please

Bronze Member
Username: Rob932

Post Number: 58
I just got a 18" avalanche and i have it hooked up to my pcx1500 and its not that loud also when i went to adjust the subsonic filter or whatever it is it just started spinning continously is that my problem or is my amp not strong enough or what any ideas?? y

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1733
is it under warranty robbie? If it is send it back and if not try to take it appart and see what is goin on in there. That amp is not big enough for your sub you need something with more power also. That sub will cry for 1000 watts all day long.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
wont that amp push 1000x1

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1735
yeah at 2ohms. Tell me how you are going to get a dual 2ohm sub to run at 2ohms mono?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1736
and depending on how you wired that amp up that copuld be the reason your subsonic filter broke off. if you wired it at 1ohm you prob melted it off from being attached. those amps are not 1ohm stable and they dont like being run that low either. some amps you can push lower then recomended but not those. the only way you can wire that up is at 4ohms and that amp will only give out 500 watts at 4ohms. granted it is underrated but still not enough power for that sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 60
alright well as you can tell i dont really no that much about amps but the thing didi n't break off i think i turned it the wrong way to hard and thats how it broke. but i am not the one who wired my stuff but ill tell you how my friend did it. On the sub i went one wire from positive to the other side negative. then the positive to one positive on the amp and the negative to i think the other positve.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1739
what? look here and tell me which way it was wired up http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/wiring/index.html#1dvcs if it is wired like you said no wonder it sounds like a$$ the polarity's are all reversed. atleast thats what it sounds like to me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
its wired like the first one, series

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1743
ok so you are running it at 4ohms and delivering about 500 watts to it. Needs more power man. look into a kicker 1200.1 and run it parellel at 1ohm for 1200 watts that will slam it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
alrighty thanks for your help

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1748
no prob

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1788
Robbie, that is a great amp. It is US made too. Now if 500w rms is not enough, then you're doing something wrong. I have 18" sub and I feed less than 350w to make it pound. It'll take over 1000w. Just all depends on your box size. If it's made to the manufacturer's spec, it should sound great.
Subsonic filter is not a bass control. It's only used to get rid of ultra low sound that causes excessive cone movement. If you don't have that kind of problem then it's not required. I have mine turned off.
Have you thought of getting a parametric equalizer? It'll help tailor the sound.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1751
Isaac I have talked to Robbie about this already when he says he wasnt getting the right sound he was comparing it to his old L5's. He said his 18 was about as loud as his 2-L5 15's. He is getting output just not as much as he wants. thats why I have told him to get a bigger amp. yes that amp is a good one I would never tell someone to get a new amp if they have a nice PPI trust me I love PPI. So I think Robbie would benefit hugely from an Orion HCCA 275G4:-) run at 1ohm:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us