Isaac - Zapco Reference 500.1 enough for 2 15" TDX's

Silver Member
Username: Ffxdevilarms

Dubuque, Iowa United States

Post Number: 290
I ordered the amp and the TDX's because i got a really good deal. Am i going to have enough power to run these 2 subs??? I am mainly going for SQ with good SPL as well. I was in the sub forum and i was told that you were the "amp man"

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
BUMP

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1693
Hey Chris, is your sub 1200w rms each? That is a lot of power.
Your Zapco 500.1 might not have enough juice for both subs. However, two of those amps should be enough cause Zapco do under rate the power.

If you get a perfect box for TDX subs, then you should be able to achieve great results, even with 500w amp.
I am postive you will be very satisfied with the amp and the subs.
Just for you info, I have 18" 1600w sub and so far I've only been using around 400w the most to drive it. The bass is so strong that people turn heads a block away.

Silver Member

Post Number: 294
yeah they are 1200 RMS and i am using 1.9 cubic foot per sub enclosure. I figure that my amp will not power them to full potential, i am just wondering if it will still sound good, and at full volume will i have clipping or anything else bad????

Gold Member

Post Number: 1695
It will sound great as long as the box is built to TDX's spec.
You won't get distortion/clipping from the amp. If it occurs, it'll come from your HU. Make sure the gain/level is set properly on the amp when you get it.
If I were you, I'd save up money and get one more 500.1 amp.
You know what amp would've been perfect for your subs? Orion HCCA 275G4. It is rated 1200w rms at 1ohm with 12v. In your car you'll probably get over 1600w rms of pure power.
That amp was on sale on eBay last week for $410. I lost out on the bid cause it ended at 5am! What a stupid way to end an auction.

Silver Member

Post Number: 295
i am trying to stay low on current draw from my alt because i do not want to get a new alt. Would having a larger sealed box then what they specify help me with the power a little bit. My HU is a Nakamich CD-400, so i doubt that it will clip at all. The subs are dual 2 ohm, so getting anothr 500.1 should not help to much, because i would only be getting about 100 more watts per sub because i would have to run them in 4 ohm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1697
No, you don't want to go higher than the recommended box size.
If you don't want to get HO alternator, then Orion's MBR 70 would be a great investment. It's a battery isolator that works without cutting into your existing charging system.
I think you'll be fine with 500.1 amp. With great amps, you don't need that much power to get good SQ.

Silver Member

Post Number: 297
I think that i recommends 1.65 cubic feet per sub on the site. I will have a 1.9 per sub box, think that will help out at all???

Silver Member

Post Number: 299
To tell you the truth i cant find the specifics on the sealed box that they recommond. One thing that i do find a little interesting is that they only change the color on the new version, but they lowered the rms down to 1000. That is kinda wierd.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1700
Well you see, if you get bigger box than what's recommended, you'll end up getting lower SQ. But not as bad as getting smaller box. If possible, get the exact size. It will help with SQ and tighter bass response.
Don't worry about the amp's power, wait till you hear it. It'll sound way better than you think.

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
That is what i will do, i got insane deals on everything that i got, so if there is something that is a little off, i will just go to ebay and make some money. Thanks for all you help, you have made me feel much better.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us