Capacitors

Username: Jaudiofreak

Ohio

Post Number: 3
When you see a 1 farad capacitor that says for systems up to 1,000 watts does that mean just the amp and the subs or everything that puts out wattage like cd player, amp, speakers, and subs? Also how would you install a capacitor where there are 2 mono block amps in the car?

Bronze Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 22
the 1000 watts the capacitor says means for example, you can hook 1 1000 watt amp to it, or any combination of amps that push 1000 watts together. the cd player isn't hooked to the cap, so it doesn't count towards the 1000 watts. and speakers and subs don't put out wattage, they use wattage.

you can just hook two wires off of the cap, one to each amp.

hope this helps. i'm sure you'll get other replies too.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7459
"everything that puts out wattage like cd player, amp, speakers, and subs?"

speakers don't put out wattage.
they present a reactive load to the amplifiers.

you should only use a capacitor for one amplifier, so for two amps, you use two caps.
see here:
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 24
yeah, its always better to have more then you need

Bronze Member
Username: Minime80

Post Number: 22
Is there any difference in capacitor brands? I mean, is a $50 Legacy Cap the same as a $200-$300 Uber-look-at-how-pretty-I-am Cap?

Bronze Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 27
i've heard there are only 2 diff companies that make stiffening capacitors and everyone just puts their brand name on them. so your basically paying for the name. or something like that

idk if that is true or not, but i don't really see how they can be different if they have the same inside material.

anyone else know?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us