Amp overheating please help

Bronze Member
Username: Mrrogers

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 37
ok my girlfriend has 3 lightning audio 12's and a sony xplode 222 amp when i got the amp for her i bought it off of a friend and the paint was chipped and scratched. so i painted it black. the amp works good but after about 15 minutes of blasting brains the amp shuts off and when i feel the amp it is almost too hot to touch. i wonder if it is because i painted it black or is there something else wrong with it.

Silver Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 557
well see the thing wrong with it is...its a sony xplode amp

Bronze Member
Username: Mrrogers

Marshall, Illinois Usa

Post Number: 38
ok i know its not the greatest but i just need to know if i need to repaint it or replace it i would rather repaint it if that is wat is wrong

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 559
ummm...i really doubt that its the paint...might be..what kind of paint..how much..where on the amp..cover any holes? anything else?

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 117
the 12's are probaly single voice coil 4ohm. that puts u at a 1.5 ohm load or a 12 ohms load. since u probaly hooked them up in parallel it is most likely a 1.5 ohm load. The 222 puts 111 watts x 2 into 2 ohms (i'm guessing b/c i couldnt find any specs) i assume u are bridging it. if so then it is only stable to 4 ohms. U are running it at 1.5 ohms. That is why it is over heating.

Silver Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 565
didnt even think about that haha thanks nick
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us