Would a capacitor fix my problem

Username: Volfenhag1200

Post Number: 2
My amp does fine until I turn the bass up and it blows my fuse every time I think im gettin a power overload if I got a capacitor and hooked it up would it help this problem

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 123
no, a cap won't help. it sounds like you either need a bigger fuse or a larger gauge wire. not sure though

Bronze Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 67
It will only cushion it, meaning, only a little. You need to get a yellowtop, if you dont already have one, and a new HO Alternator, if not your amp is gonna start clipping which is very bad for your sub. And may also not be that at all, i could be a wiring problem or sumthin else...

Bronze Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 47
in other words he has no clue....try everything. =)

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 135
What fuse is blowing the in-line fuse or the amp fuse? What size wire do you have from the battery to the amp? Check the ground. It might be how you have your subs wired.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 572
no a cap won't fix it
no a battery won't fix it
no a high output alt won't fix it
no putting a bigger wire won't fix it

If the fuse is blowing you have a short somewhere, or the fuse is to small. Redo your ground, and double check all your wires. If they are cut anywere replace them. As for the fuse size, make sure the inline fuse matches or is a step bigger than the sum of the fuse or fuses on the amp. If it is the fuse in the amp, look at the manual and see what it requires. If you don't have the manual go up one size (after you check ALL your wires).

If those don't fix it, turn your gain down and see if that helps. Your amp should be going into protect mode long before it blows a fuse, but anything can happen. If its still doing it, try unhooking your subs and see if it still does it.

If it still has a problem your amps fried, and I hope its under warranty.

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 743
...... or he has his subs wired at a low impedance and the amp is "trying" to produce more power than it was designed for. More power means more current draw which can equal "blown fuse".

Going up a size on an inline fuse at the battery is no big deal especially with a cap installed. That fuse is there to protect the wiring and vehicle in case of a short, not the amp(s). Charging a cap definitely will add to the current load and may require a larger fuse, but I'd think twice about increasing fuse size at the amp above what is recommended by the manufacturer. THAT could lead to a fried amp for sure if there's an intermittent short in the speaker wire or the subs are wired wrong.

You really need to get back to us with info on exactly what amp and subs you have Bradley(specs on amp power at different loads, voice coil configuration and resistance) as well as exactly how you have them wired(parallel/series, fuse size at amp and/or battery, etc.).

We're really just guessing here otherwise.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

OK in less t... South Korea

Post Number: 582
Yeah fishy I was hoping his amp would be going into protect mode before it blew the fuse if he had the subs wired to low, but just in case thats why i sugested he unhook the speakers. At least that way we could narrow down were the problem is comming from.

Username: Volfenhag1200

Post Number: 10
I got it fixed it was because I had my speakers at a too low of an impedance. thanks for all your help!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us