(new)12" Type R vs 15" Tempest

ThinkingHard
Unregistered guest
Give your opinions please.
12" new type R in a small ported enclosure
or
15" Adire Tempest in a Small sealed enclosure (QTC = 0.9)
Subs will recieve 600 RMS at 4 ohms.
Which will have better SQ? Let the votting begin...

asdfghjkl
Unregistered guest
ALPINE RULES

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 1314
hmmmmmmm. thats a tough one. SQ you want huh? Well in my opinion both of these subs lack great SQ. I would have to say they are pretty equal in SQ but in SPL my vote goes to the Tempest.

Bronze Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 67
My vote would have to go to the Tempest as well. The xmax on the the tempest is 16.4, the type r is 13.3. Dont know how much of a difference that will make when other factors are considered but IMO the tempest is also a better sounding driver.

ThinkingHard
Unregistered guest
is 600 RMS to much for the Tempest???
LET THE VOTEING CONTINUE...

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 70
the tempest can handle 750 watts rms, should be fine depending on enclosure. The tempest can reach full excursion with 400-500 watts easily.

ThinkHard
Unregistered guest
I have heard the shiva, how does it compare to the tempest?

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 91
They are very mush alike. Like adire says "Think shiva but bigger". Obviosly it is louder, but the midrange transition is not as good as the shiva.

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 270
The shiva is just a smaller version of the tempest and is made by the same company (Adire Audio) as you can probaly guess is has less x-max since it is smaller and takes 650 RMS opposed to 750 for the tempest, and not sure about the tempest but the shiva has 8 ohms impendance. I would say that the shiva would outperform a type R, but not tempest.

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 92
the shiva and 12in type r both sound good. Keep in mind the shiva is a dvc 8ohm sub. u will need a amp capable of atleast 350 watts @ 4ohms for it. Plus all adire equipment is on back order that i know off. The shiva will also have better spl then the type r.

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 93
Actually the shiva has .2mm more xmax then a tempest(makes no difference). Both are dual 8 ohm.

Anonymous

nick why why why would you want midrange in a bass speaker, just keep retarded thoughts to yourself.

ThinkingHard
Unregistered guest
Im pushing 600 RMS at 4 ohms... plenty of power. How long is the wait on Adire products?

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 271
even if it had more X-max the tempest still has much more surface area.

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 96
of course, the tempest has 1.557 times as much surface area. Did u think i was implying the shiva was louder? sorry for misunderstanding.

ThinkingHard
Unregistered guest
you want good midbass because crossovers do not just stop the sound they "roll it of." This means that your sub will put out sounds well beyond the crossover point, just not as lound. 12db crossover at 80 hz means that 160 hz will still be played by the sub, just 12 db quieter. If you are hitting 102 db at 80 hz then you will still see 90 db at 160 hz. This is still very audible. That is why you want good midbass transition.

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 97
sorry ment to say midbass not midrange. u will have to cross your fronts over lower if u go with the tempest then if u go with the shiva. The tempest's impendence increases quiker as it rises into the midbass range, then the shiva.

Bronze Member

Nc Usa

Post Number: 98
exactly. i ordered a tempest a month and a half ago and it still hasnt come in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us