I'm Sick Of This

Anonymous

Okay I'm really getting sick of all the threads on here about JL Audio's w7 subs. I personally haven't heard them but d@mn the way you guys talk about them are they really ALL THAT? I don't really like JL Audio but are these w7's really the best subs out right now? What makes the JL Audio w7 better than all the other subs?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1159
the sound quality is great, they are very well made, and they have the ability to reach outstanding SPL.
the 13W7 has a 32mm Xmax. Not many subs can claim that, even at 15" and 18"

Anyway, I'm not going to try to sway you either way. In the end, it's what sounds good to your own ears, and with that said, you should hear a pair of 13W7s on a pair of 1000/1 amps some time.
this is a video of one 12W7 with a 500/1
The excursion is terrific.
http://www.12v.dk/video/JL%20Audio%2012w7.avi

Anonymous

Holy S$ht if that is one 12 on 500 watts I can already imagine what the 13 inch on 1000 watts sounds like. Seems to me 2 of these subs with 2000 watts would be pure overkill. I think the JL Audio brand is a little out of my price range though. But seeing that video made me a believer. Thanks GlassWolf that was awesome.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1164
two 13W7s with a pair of JL 1000/1 amps will usually reach the 155-160dB range in a car.
That's utterly painful to witness, and not an experience you'd want to honestly endure without fluid filled hearing protection in place.

155dB is capable of stopping the human heart.

The nice thing though, is that the W7s offer terrific sound quality, and work very well as daily driver subs, not just SPL competition subs.
They are an all around great product, but yes. They are very expensive, and for half the price, you can get subs that will do very well in their place, if competition of extreme performance aren't your goals.
They are an enthusiast's sub for sure.
Not everybody likes JL either, and that's fine too. They have earned their reputation though, for a reason.

Anonymous

So when I hear these guys cars that I can hear like 10 blocks away and when they pull up next to you at a stop light and their car sounds like an earthquake and shakes the ground how many watts would you say they have? I can remember one time being at a red light next to a Honda Accord it was hitting so hard it was literally making the stop lights swing back and forth like the wind was blowing. That was the loudest car I've ever heard. Isn't 160dB louder than a sonic boom?

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 150
....no it wouldnt make the lights swing back and forth....either there was wind or ur imagining things u crazy little minded person

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
AHAHAHHAHA.. that's great.. it was making the lights swing back and forth.. hahaha..

Anonymous

You can call me whatever you want but I know what I saw. Whether you believe me or not. I could care less. There was no wind that day because I had my windows down. And I don't see why you think this isn't possible if the vibrations from the sub bass are powerful enough. The street lights sway back and forth when a train passes under them where I live and this car was louder than a moving train. I'm talking about street lights hanging from power lines not the ones fixed to a pole. And they were swaying every time the bass hit.

Username: Lexboy

Post Number: 7
This doesn't sound too impossible to me but highly unlikely in a Honda Accord. Now maybe in a SUV or van MAYBE. Unless that guy had his back seat taken out and a wall of subs. I have a Lexus coupe with 2 JL audio 13w7 subs and 2 JL audio 1000/1 amps in a sealed box. I also have the street lights in my city that hang from power lines and not fixed to poles and even with my system cranked very high the street lights don't sway, they don't even budge for that matter and I have nearly 3000 watts of power.
I won't say that the JL audio w7's are the best subs or the loudest for that matter. But one thing I have noticed since getting this subs, less than a week now, they are EXTREMELY CLEAR at very high volumes. When I say clear you can hear every instrument and all the lyrics with all the bass these things put out with ABSOULETLY NO DISTORTION whatsoever. The bass does not drown out the overall music. I would dare to say that I think my 2 JL audio 13's are louder than someone with 4 12's or 2 15's easily. At the car audio shop that did the install on my car they put a mic on the dash and measured my SPL it topped out at about 162.2 dB. That's very fu^king LOUD for a street car that doesn't compete in sound off competitions. A sonic boom is about 136 to 140 dB loud.

Username: Hoda

Post Number: 1
WOW 162dB with only two jl audio 13w7 subs!!! That is totally awesome man. And in a Lexus too. I would hate to live in your neiborhood or be driving down the same street as you. That is insane. Just out of curiosity can you tell us what your system is composed of and how much total amount of money you spent on your system. Thanks

Username: Lexboy

Post Number: 8
Hoda,

Thanks for the compliments man. I would say on the stereo system alone I paid about $9000 which includes installation, electrical system upgrade, batteries and sound proofing. My system consist of the following:

Delco 375 amp High Output Water Cooled Alternator with adjustable regulator
2-Optima 750 Yellow Top Batteries-one battery for each JL Audio 1000/1 amp
Completely stripped out the car's interior, trunk, and doors for 3 Layers of Dynamat Extreme
Alpine CVA-1006 Head Unit
Alpine CDA-9835 CD Player
Alpine CHA-1214 12 Disc Changer
Alpine DVA-5205 DVD Player
2-Alpine TME-M580 5.8inch LCD Color Monitors for the headrest in the seats
Alpine PXA-H700 Dolby Digital Signal Processor
Pair CDT Competition Euro Sport ES-400 4inch midranges for the doors
Pair CDT Competition Euro Sport ES-500 5.25inch midbass for the rear deck
Pair CDT Competition Silk ES-100 1 inch tweeters
2-JL Audio 13w7 subwoofers
Custom Fit Sealed and Braced 2 cu.ft per sub Enclosure with Polyfill
2-JL Audio 1000/1 amplifiers for the subs
JL Audio 450/4 amplifier for the mids

That's about it besides the installation accessories which I don't know off the top of my head.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1173
"So when I hear these guys cars that I can hear like 10 blocks away and when they pull up next to you at a stop light and their car sounds like an earthquake and shakes the ground how many watts would you say they have?"

severe hearing damage.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 151
rofl....this is true

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
actually, i think it's FUNNY when guys are rollin in a ride, and the bass is BUMPIN LOUD.. they're sposed to be lookin COOL, for the ladies, but to me they look kinda LAME cuz they just have to sit there looking straight because they CAN'T TALK TO or HEAR each other!! haha.. sometimes i wonder if they have earplugs or not..

Silver Member
Username: Newb

Post Number: 105
actually guys i believe the wind thing. i used have 13w7's in my puke green pinto but i actually converted it into a hydrofoil. so basically the car kinda floated couple inches off the ground cuz i had them in a downfiring orientation providing enuf force to break the interia of gravity:-)

jason...umm if u have ur crossover set right the should only produce low frequencies right? im think most non-synthesized instruments dont have any bass other than bass guitar, cello, baritone, tuba...so how do u hear all instruments from ur jl subs? r they maybe coming from ur cdts?

Tim L.
Unregistered guest
^ no, he didn't mean the JL subs play the highs.. he meant the subs hit the lows clear and crisp quickly so that it blends in or compliments his highs rather than drowning them out with a BOOMier bass sound..

Bronze Member
Username: Jigga57

Post Number: 12
dayumn, i need to get me some 13 inch w7's. haha... how much do one of those cost by the way? whats the lowest price you've seen them for?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1251
retail if I recall is $999 for a 13W7, and $1,199 for a JL 1000/1 to power it.

On eBay, each can be found for around $650, but they aren't factory authorized and not covered by JL for the 3 year warranty period.
JL doesn't authorize any on-line retail sales.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us