Wiring amp without a sub.

Username: Doctorlove

Post Number: 1
hello, well first of all, I have a Boss RT-345 600w amp lying around. I'm looking to to install this into my Jeep wrangler. The idea behind this is that I want a loud nice sounding system in my jeep that I can hear on the highway without a Sub,(I don't have room) I can put what ever size speakers inside the sound bar but they have to be the right size up front. The Cd Dek is a Panasonic CQC1300U CD Player/Changer Control/Receiver with MP3/WMA Playback.
So my questions are...
1. Can I wire the speakers up this amp and just ignore the sub all together?
2. If I can do this, What speakers should I look into?
3. Any Concerns that I should think about?
Thanks in advance for the help!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1604
If you want "loud nice sounding system" then Boss is not your solution. Don't use it. Get a new amp such as Zapco, Arc Audio, Xtant, Orion, PPI's PC and PCX series.
Don't try and save money now. The sound you'll get from Boss am will be disappointing.
I purchased Xtant's 4 channel amp for $125 from eBay.
For speakers, get component system from Boston, MB Quart, Infinity, Focal and few others. Again, it is a big costly, but they will get the type of sound you're looking for.

Post Number: 2
geez, ok so I'm shopping for a new amp. What am I looking for concerning channels and wattage if I'm just running speakers? Is the cd player ok for that?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1606
If your CD player has RCA preout then you're fine. Check your owner's manual for it. It will tell you, if not contact Panasonic's tech support.
As for amps, depending on your budget, you can look at Zapco, Arc Audio, Xtant, Orion, PPI, JL and JBL.
Look for 4 channel amp with 75w rms to 125w rms. On eBay, search for PPI or Precision Power. You will see lot of amps. Take a look at PC or PCX series. They are reasonably priced. If your car already has the power wires done, then you won't need power wire kit. If not, Walmart has some cheap ones on sale.
Xtant also has some 4 channel amp on sale. X604 is the model if you're interested.

Post Number: 3
wowzer, Ok I looked at a bunch of prices and wow, thats a bit more than I wanted to spend at the moment. Right now I just wanted to upgrade my system a little. Maybe down the road I will upgrade it to something like that but not at the moment. So say if I used the boss, What speakers would I use if I was planning on upgrading in the future?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1608
You will want to buy component speakers. They cost more than coaxial, but it'll sound much better. Stick with Infinity, Boston, MB Quart, Focal, CDT. Stay away from Boss/Pyramid/Pyle/Lanzar/Sony/Kenwood etc. They're not worth buying.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us