Gauge wire?

Bronze Member
Username: Rhassler

Post Number: 28
hey, im upgrading my alternator a 200 amp one. could someone tell me what gauge wires i would need for everything, like amp to sub , battary to amp etc...right now im running a 1200 watt rms 2400 watt peak Orion amp to a 15" triple X sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
anyone?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7366
1/0ga for the alternator to battery, battery to ground, and motor to chassis
2ga from battery to amplifier, 4ga from distribution block to amp (short)
4ga amp to ground
14-12ga for amp to sub

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
thanks glass

Username: Spcmoss

Post Number: 7
i have a mtx 1501d amp and it has 0 gauge inputs .... but i already have a streetwires 4 gauge wire kit ... can i get away with using the 4 gauge .....its 1000 watts at 2 ohms ....at 12.5 volts

Bronze Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 73
I have 2 jl 500/1s and a 4 channel amp for my componant speakers thats like 200rms. Im getting a 150amp alternator so what gauge wires for this set up ?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 909
MO you should be fine with 4 guage if it is a short run but if not go with 2. You are going to need to run a 4gugae ground from alternator, battery to chassis, and motor to chassis just like glass said.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Glasswolf what do you think? Your way sounds more organized no offense to what james said cause james is probably right but the way glass posted is easier to comprehend since im new to alternators and upgrading them. Thanks

Username: Treeguy2oo4

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 8
wow guys this is something i'v not thought about to much!! i'm planing to put in 2 PIONEER class d mono amps in soon,31.0A current consumption, 7.3A average current drawn per amp yah wright! 1 amp per box that houses 1 PIONEER ts-306 dvc sub, each amp (rms) is about 600 or more, 1000 max @ 2ohms X two 1200 (rms), the sub (rms) are 400 and 1000 watts max! real close if you ask me! i was going to use 4 gugae from the battery to the a boss 2.5 or 4 flare cap, then 8 gugae from the distribution block to each mono amp. (1) because my truck has 8 gugae wire i use now, i would like to use it over to save money. i thought that would work. opps plus i plan on putting in a 4 ch pioneer amp to! some where around 25 and 35 (rms)per ch, use-ing a 10 gugae on it. my truck is a 74 f-250 supper cab, with two betteries the run is about 10" to 12" from better to the power block. so what do you think????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 88
What do you think glass or anyone

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
I have 2 jl 500/1s and a 2 channel amp for my componant speakers thats like 400x2 rms Im getting a 150amp alternator so what gauge wires for this set up ? The total current draw is 1400 watts rms and the total amps im running is 180amps. can anyone help me with the right gauge wires for my alternator to ground,etc...and power run

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
Help out glasswolf?

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
???anyone

Username: Lamont

Post Number: 1
I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT GAUGE WIRE WOULDI NEED TO SET UP A 600WATT AND A 1600WATT AMP from batt to amp

Silver Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Florida

Post Number: 318
http://www.the12volt.com/wiring/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 711
Bigger is always better and that last link is great for quick calculations, but I think those figures are pretty conservative. 4 gauge power wire should be sufficient in most cases(<1500 watts rms) especially if you have "short" runs to D class amps and/or those with regulated power supplies. Just check the fuse ratings on your amp(s). Anyone here have a 1000 watt amp with a 160+ amp fuse? Add up the fuse ratings and thats the maximum amount of current you can draw on your power wire. You'll be blowing a fuse(s) before you ever get there.

Battery to ground and alternator to battery are the only places I'd think of running 2 gauge due to the added current load from accessories(headlights, a/c, etc), but thats probably not necessary if you leave the existing wires in place. It may not be pretty but they can take care of that current load. Thats what they were designed to do in the first place. Just make sure you run your alternator to battery cable thru any external voltage regulators(my alternator has one built in) and that you fuse it as well.

The figures in the above link are based on acceptable voltage drop(not overheating concerns) which for a given guage is proportional to length as well as current. 4 gauge wire has a resistance of .000292 ohms(292 milliohms) per foot. 10 ft of 4 gauge wire results in less than a .5 volt drop in voltage at 160 amps. If you have a good alternator thats providing 14+ volts at idle and chassis losses are considered negligible then your amp will see 13.5 volts which should power any car amp just fine. Powering your sytem with the engine off is another story, but I make a point of not doing that. As far as I'm concerned my battery is for starting my car and my alternator is for running my system.

So unless your wiring amps in the trunk of a stretch limo I'd think 4 gauge would be plenty for 1500 watts or less but.........

bigger is always better and looks really macho-cool too.

:-)

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 128
What size fuse does your amp have?

Wire Gauge Current Flow Max Total Amp Power

0 awg 330 amps
1 awg 262 amps
2 awg 208 amps
3 awg 165 amps
4 awg 131 amps
5 awg 104 amps
6 awg 82 amps
7 awg 65 amps
8 awg 52 amps
9 awg 41 amps
10 awg 33 amps
11 awg 26 amps
12 awg 21 amps
13 awg 16 amps
14 awg 13 amps

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 713
Now those figures are even MORE conservative.

Where'd you get those Donald?

-Fishy

Silver Member

TamaracFt.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 714
They don't take wire length into account at all. You do realize that that 1 foot of 10 gauge wire has about the same resistance as 4 feet of 4 gauge.

If those are tempearture dependent figures then they must be for muti-strand cable. 10 gauge can safely carry 55 amps open air(with typical insulation) as shown in the chart here:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiring/wire_resistance.html

If you guys want to "play it safe" by all means go by the above figures, but I think in some cases you can get by with slightly less "bulky" and less expensive solutions. However, as running new wires can really be a real pita if you're gonna do it, GO BIG. If it gives you peace of mind the added expense is probably worth it.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 131
It came from
http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us