W7 bottoming out?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
I have a 12 inch W7 in my explorer and it sounded like crap so i put it in a vented box instead of sealed and its loader but it sounds like its bottoming out.... it just sounds horrible altogether. I have a friend that has to 12 inch sony xplods with a jensen amp and its beating my system eaisly and thats not right lol.. any suggestions on what my problem is? ive got it hooked to a audiobahn a8000t amp and my head unit is an alpine cda-9830.

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 509
is it installed correctly?
them w7's are kind of a pain to install correctly

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
I think it is.. i did it myself and im definatly not a professional.. but i have the power wire with inline fuse from the battery to the amp and ive got it grounded to where my jack is to jack up my explorer and the remote on/off to the head unit.. anything im missing?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 828
well I can tell you that your problem is your amp. Your amp is 600 watts @ 3ohms which under normal circumstances with a good amp that would run a w7 nicely but you are lucky if that 600 is 300. What size enclosure do you have it in? where did you get it from JL or did yoou buy it pre fabbed? I would get a different amp man. How can you get such a nice sub and buy such a worthless amp to power it?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
i ran out of money lol.. ok i know thats not a good excuse but i am only 16 and i dont have a job yet.. i have been told it might be my amp. i mean the amp is already making funny noises when i turn it on. but i also bought the sub used .. do u think there could be somethin wrong with the sub too? i was just thinking about selling it all because im tired of messing with it.. i was thinking about getting 4 kicker comp vr's... what do u sugest i do?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 831
I would keep teh w7 and get a better amp. if you are into sql keep the JL it is a far superior sub to the kickers. Did you buy this sub from someone you know? How much did you pay for it if you didnt know them? is there a chance it could have been blown when you bought it? thats why I ask how much you paid for it because if you got it for like $200 chances are it was cooked and the dude just wanted to get some cash for it.

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
i dont THINK its blown.. i paid 500 for it and it sounds good at low volume but when i turn it up its almost like the pitch of the bass goes up with it and it gets distorted up close.. its loud- i set off a car alarm the other day... but its crappy bass

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 834
where did you get your box made?

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 835
and what is it tuned to?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
i didnt.. i made the sealed one myself to JL specs.. and it sounded alright but just not loud.. the vented i got off ebay also

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 837
is it a sub zone enclosure? I know they are about the only company that makes a pre fabbed enclosure for the w7 using 1in MDF. providing the box is good I would get a new amp. If you like ebay look for a orion HCCA 250g4 there is one on there now it will crank that sub!

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
i dont know what its tuned to

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
its not a subzone.. its an off brand and its made out of only 3/4 inch mdf.. the sealed one i made was made of 3/4 also but i doubled the front and made it twice as thick- 1.5 inch... im not TOO much into sound quality but this is way too noticeable for me to overlook.. but im looking for more volume.. with as minimal distortion as possible for my price range... and i dont know if i want to risk spending money on a new amp and still be dissatisfied with it and then have to get new.. or just get new and not take the risk and loose the w7

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 838
dude I would get the right equipment for that sub.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 496
James is right. You need a box and amp that match that sub.

You need to find out what your box is tuned at and set your cut off on your amp so it doesn't play to much lower than the tuning freq. If it goes to much lower than the tuning freq of your box it can bottom out and cause damage to the sub.

Silver Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 696
it sounds as if you are clipping your sub also. you are trying to make up the loudness of the sub by turning the the volume up passed the limits of the amp, forcing it to try too hard and making the power distorted which will make it sound like rosanne singing the national anthem. the amp is the key to sound better, see if you cant sell that one and see if you can find an amp that will do 1200 watts at 2 ohms, so it will give you around 600 -700 watts at three. look into the jl 500/1 or the 1000/1

Silver Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 622
What JeremyC said sounds right. Are you running a low-pass filter of any kind with that sub since it's ported? When you play a sub in a ported box below the tuned frequency without protection you can damage the sub.

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
i was running the low pass filter but i turned it off the other day

Username: Miso

Slovakia

Post Number: 6
this is ridicolous,w7 cost 1700dollars in my country and i would buy it anytime for500,but you driving it with such a shitty amp,even with LPF off!next time try somethig on lower end and work it up from there,it is so rewarding after few years of upgrading to get best sound YOU ever wanted. bottom line:get equally good amp to match the W7!

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
Are there any other brands of amps that could do as good of job as the 1000/1 or 500/1 for any cheaper?.. if not should i save and go with the 1000/1 or the 500/1?

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
also would anyone recomend going back to the sealed enclosure because i have no idea what the vent is tuned to in the new one and i dont want to damage the sub by it bottoming out

pdizzle
Unregistered guest
im tired of messing with this if anyone wants the sub and or amp email me an offer at poedaddy_54@hotmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us