JBL BP1200.1 Dead on Arrival?

Bronze Member
Username: Booya

Post Number: 12
Ok, this is what i have. Head unit: Alpine 9815. AMP: JBL BP 1200.1, Amp kit: knukonceptz. Subs: 2 JL 12" subs. Just Installed a new JBL BP1200.1 amp. hooked all the power and source leads up. When i turned the key on, the amp came on. However, there was no sound coming out of the subs. I have double checked to make sure the head unit has the "sub level" on and up about midway.(the RCA connections are connected to the RCA "sub woofer" connection on the back of the head unit) The amp turns on with the red LED on for a few seconds, then the green LED turns on and remains constant, but there is absolutly no sound. Looking in the users manual, its telling me if the green LED remains constant, your amp is most likely over heating...dont know how that could be, this was the first time it had ever been turned on. I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar situation with this amp. I have double checked all the wiring connections and everythings looks ok. Also checked to make sure the "gain" was up on amp. Hope thats enough info...

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 109
Check to make sure your Ground Wire is big Enough at least 4 Gauge and that its mounted to your chassis.Also you might wanna check your amp turn-on wire from the back of your head unit and make sure its connected to the remote wire good.Make sure the remote wire to the amp is hooked up too.Other things could be the amp sees to small of a load which I doubt since it can handle a 1 ohm load,run 10-14 Gauge speaker wire to ur subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I have 4 gauge wire for the power as well as the ground. I'll double check the power connections and ground. For the remote wire, It does turn the unit on when its connected. (the remote wire is very very thin) I disconnected the remote wire from the amp and the amp did not turn on. (as is normal) I was wondering, is it possible for the connection to be good enough to turn the amp on but not fully allow it to operate? as for the speaker wire, im using 12 gauge wire. other than that, thats about all i can think of...I get back to ya and let you know what happens...thanx

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1161
how are the subs wired, and wired to the amp?
what load are you presenting to the amp?

the remote line is a 12 volt, low current trigger signal.
if the amp gets 12V from it, that's all it needs to tell it to turn on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
These are 2, 12" JL subs in a single box. from the box i have wired them so each sub is connected to its own lead on the amp, that is - to - and + to + ( for both subs) using 12 gauge wire. as far as the ratings of the JL's and how they are wired inside the box im not sure, they are actually my sisters (i just used them to test the amp out, as i do not have my own yet) This I can tell you, those subs are connected to a Phoenix Gold XS 4600, and sound great. I have assumed these subs would be close enough spec wise to test them on the JBL 1200.1, or am i wrong? Also, what if the amp was not getting any sound source?, that is, RCA cables being bad or broken?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1169
If you don't know the impedance and coil config of the subs, I at leastneed the models.
JL has subs from 8 Ohms each to 1.5 Ohms each.

The JBL amp is 1 Ohm stable.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
hmm, yea...the only way i can find out the impedance of the JL's would be if i take one of the subs out of the box.(dont see any other indication on the sub itself) I think what ill do is put my amp in place of my other friends amp. He has two 12" Infinity single coil 4 ohm subs. And im pretty sure they'r 600 watts rms a piece. If i just hook my JBL in place of his amp. That should give me a total of 2 ohm load on the amp, wired in parallel...ill see what happens then...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1187
take the subs out of the box then.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
OK, This is what I did. I took my Adire Shiva and hooked it up to the amp. putting a 4ohm load on the amp (dual 8ohm coils). it didnt work at first, but at least I was not getting the same symtom from the amp the fist time i hooked it up to the JL subs. the red LED was flashing on and off. So, i double checked the ground connection to the chassis. Sure enough, it was the damn ground connection! and WALLAA... 100% pure quality sound :-) now im just waiting for the sub boxes to be delivered.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1192
that'd be "voila" :-)

sand down the ground point to bare metal, and be sure you're using the same gauge cable for it, and the ground is less than two feet long.

Silver Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 117
Ha Ha Stephen I told you so

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Coo, hey glass, just out of curiosity, why should the ground be less than 2 feet?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us