2005 chevy camaro or is it?

Chevy_camro_guy
Unregistered guest
http://www.carphotoalbums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2069

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3241
As much as I'd love to see GM to come out with an actually desirable car in an affordable price range, it's a fake and has been around for a while. There have been rumors of a new Camaro since it ended, but that pic was just a dream put on paper by a 19 year old kid. He did send it in to GM, but they didn't bite on it. Once you look at the car all over, you'll see flaws typical of image renderings. If they were coming out with a 2005 Camaro, you definately would have heard it by now as 2005 is already here, the 2005 Mustang has been seen since 2004 (or 2003, can't remember first time I saw the concept). The only thing GM is doing this year is putting an SS badge on the Cobalt, Impala, and a another car or two (can't remember off my head), GM is suffering from their own bureaucracy as they tend to do. If GM can come out with some concepts and actually bring them into production without changing a lot, they'll do some good, but right now great ideas fade away after being filtered through the bean counters. Lutz has already stated that he hates retro styling, and GM stated that they won't create another Camaro until they have a global rear wheel drive platform that could be shared by a number of their vehicles, in which that platform in their current state could only be that of the GTO. GM NEEDS a car like this, I can't picture GM doing any worse than they did this year with the exception of the revamped Corvette, all their other cars and trucks went even further down the tube. The F-body was the most expensive to produce for GM because it the Camaros and Firebirds were the only cars using it (again, bean counters taking effect), on top of the fact that Camaro sales were in the toilet. If they create another Camaro, then expect it to be around 2007 (sounds just like the 60s, doesn't it? :-)). GM will have to step up their 5.7L engine, it has reached the pinnacle of what it can do with their current technology and is falling behind. The 6.0L is a great motor, but isn't going to happen with the Camaro, it's more exotic and expensive to produce and the Corvette is pretty much the only car that will get it unless they plan to produce a downtuned version of it. Ford and Dodges engines run a lot smoother than GMs current 5.7L engine and are proving themselves to be more reliable. If GM can get past theirselves and create that Camaro, it will be a VERY good thing, just looking at how much the Mustang has improved since last year without any big rivalries, imagine how good ALL of these cars can get with competition similar to what the musclecar years had. Another Ford, Chevy and Dodge musclecar rivalry, gives me goosebumps, and it'll drive the Honda fans crazy :-).

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3242
By the way, Chevy did come out with their own concept idea of that car, and as you see, it wasn't quite as good looking:
http://photostore.automark.net/dealerphotos/80850/camaro5.jpg
It's something more believeable and more like something Lutz would put out, but in all reality it's still ugly and not something I'd like to see them come out with.

Silver Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 483
I would like to see car's like in the 60's, put the 427's in some car's! Your right, the vet is the only car chevy has. Now that they upped the power in them. Have you noticed the hp increase in the car's lately. The Viper's power is gitting up ther, and the new z06 is in the 500 club.
I can't wate to see what happens next year!:-)

Chevy_camro_guy
Unregistered guest
right now there is no competitor for mustang in it's class.There is always a mean a$$ camaro beats mustangs a$$. if you compare, a stock v6 camaro always beat v6 mustang,a z28 also beats mustang gt.but mustangs are now breeding freely. GM should defenately bring camaro back because it's not a fair game.Isn't there something we could do to bring this historical car back on to the road again.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 484
No joke, I can't stand to see Ford at the top!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3247
Yeah, we finally get an American rivalry going again (Corvette, Viper, Ford GT) and most of us can't afford them. The new Corvette is a sweet car but has lost it's image since it's mainly desired by balding men in their mid-life crisis. Chevy needs a car like the Camaro, but they don't need to go about it like they did in the 60s. The whole retro thing will result in the same crap they were given in the 60s. The problem with the Camaro was that GM was trying too hard to play catch-up throughout the 60s. The Mustang was an immediate success and set (and still holds) first-year sales records, so GM was pretty much frantic to make a car that would compete with it. The original Camaro looked so much like a Mustang that magazine critics labeled it as a late comer Mustang copy. Chevy's racing in the 60s wasn't helping either, while they did win some Trans-Am championships, the most popular racing sport is NASCAR, Dodge and Ford absolutely stomped Chevrolet back then until they outlawed hemi and semi-hemi heads (which Ford and Dodge were using) in the 70s. Ford and Dodge's NASCAR motors trickled down to their musclecars too, so you could buy the Boss 429 Mustang or a Hemi Challenger that had basically a choked down race motor. All it took was putting a better carburetor, removing smog equipment, and exhaust modifications and tuning and you had a stump puller. The only downside of that was you either got a car that ran like a bat out of hell, or one that ran like crap because it was choked down so bad. Dream Car Garage did a muscle car shootout to set records straight because magazine articles of the time modified cars before running them, they put all cars in stock condition and tested them with the same fuel, tires, and brake materials, and the Mustang Boss 429 was the winner over all of them, that included a 1969 Pontiac GTO Judge, 1969 AMX 390 Go Package, 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage 1, 1969 Hurst Oldsmobile 442, 1970 LS6 Chevelle SS, and a 1970 Dodge Hemi Challenger.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3248
"There is always a mean a$$ camaro beats mustangs a$$. if you compare, a stock v6 camaro always beat v6 mustang,a z28 also beats mustang gt."

Who cares about v-6 Mustangs or Camaros, really? :-) When you bring true fact into it comparing apples to apples instead of opinions to opinions, it has always fluctuated, there is no "always outruns a Mustang" to it. The 60s-early 70s toggled between years but overall the Mustang won out because Chevy spent too much time trying to play catch-up because they were 2 1/2 years too late. In the 70s the Camaros/Firebirds won out, but all of them sucked because of rising EPA standards the the so called "gas shortage". 80s-early 90s went to the Mustang GTs by far, and the last gen Camaros were faster than the late-gen Mustangs. As far as how a new Camaro would perform, saying it would be built on a GTO chassis, don't get your hopes up for anything spectacular. The GTO barely outruns the Mustang in the 1/4 mile, and falls far behind in handling and overall build quality of the car. That's using the 6.0L Corvette engine, and the car only beat that new Mustang by 3/10s in the 1/4. From an engine with over 1 point more compression, worse fuel mileage, an engine that requires premium fuel, and being Chevy's top offering, I'd expect more from it honestly. Chevy really has to pull their head out of their a$$ with their engine designs and realize that they've fallen behind. Saying Ford is getting that much performance out of their 4.6L, they'll walk over GM in it's current state if they decide to use their 5.4L or larger in their vehicles.

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 39
Yah i cant wait to see what SVT cooks up for next years Mustang, but ive heard startling rumors that they arent gonna do it? If they do its gonna give tha Z06 and viper a run for its money, im talking about a 450-500 hp supercharged pony!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 218
jonothan.. are you glasswolf

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3249
"Yah i cant wait to see what SVT cooks up for next years Mustang, but ive heard startling rumors that they arent gonna do it?"

It's coming out in 06. Supposedly a version producing 400hp and over 430 ft/lbs of torque, on that chassis it should stomp pretty good and hold it's own with the Vettes, at least in the 1/4 mile. They're also supposedly coming out with a GT-R, which I guess would be more for competing against Z06s and Vipers. I wanted to see the 5.0L DOHC engine that Ford Racing uses make it into production, it makes 420hp naturally aspirated and they have a supercharged version making 600+hp.

Mark, no, I'm still me :-)

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 488
I have an idea, Chevy should let us take over!:-) We could figure out a bad a$$ car!
I Wonder what would happen if they put the 8.1 496 engine in a car, or do they already. Sure it doesn't have a lot of horse power, but it would be easy to up the power, and the tork is nice!
Them dumb a$$'s actually downed the power in the 496's by like 10 hp from 2003 to 2005! Not sure when they did it, the 2003 my dad had had 345 hp, and his new 2005 says it has 235. What are they thinking?
I can't stand it when muscle car's have 6's under the hood!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 489
Also, look at the sport truck's! The SRT10 with the Viper engine! Now there is some people who are thinking!

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3250
GM not having an exciting vehicle is really hurting them. Build quality of American vehicles are right there with the Japanese, but people aren't going to know about it if you don't have an EXCITING vehicle to woo buyers in the showroom to see that you've built a better car. Ford doesn't have as much trouble getting buyers because their trucks are literally the best selling vehicle in the world. Fords reputation is built upon their trucks, and really they do build fantastic trucks. Typically GM wins over in the car arena and their trucks don't sell as well as the F-150. GM isn't really making a huge attempt to lure buyers in for their cars. When you have as many divisions as GM, you have to start focusing on priorities. Look at Ford, the F-150, the Mustang, and the Explorer, their trademark vehicles. They continue to build momentum because Ford puts them as top priorities in the engineering division. They also broke their own mold instead of just tried to subtly build a good car that is just like the other thousands of car options out there. Not too many I know of get excited about a Taurus, 500, Focus, and their other vehicles, but when you lure people into showrooms, they'll see those vehicles and at least look at them to consider them. Comparatively, GM has spread their troops so wide that they're nearly incapable of maintaining a focus on priority, you really can't create a hype when you have a product line a mile long and all are similarly dull and unexciting. You also can't try and sell the wrong car. The Malibu won a JD Power and Associates award, but not many people riding on the street or seeing a commercial will look at it and say "Damn, I want that car!". It's about priority, what you think will create a hype.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us