Kicker KX700.5 700w 5-Ch Amp w/Class-D Sub Out

joshg
Unregistered guest
Is this a good amp? I found where I can get one factory refurbished with a 90 day factory warranty for $200. Is this a good deal. It will be going in a 2005 Cavalier with 6.5" Alpine Type S Components in the front, Alpine 6X9" Type S Two Ways in the rear deck and 2 MTX 12" Subs in a sealed box. Should I get this amp to power my system or should I go with seperate amps for the Subs and Highs?

josh

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1476
If you listen to music at normal volume then that amp will do. However, if you like loud volume and heavy bass, then you'll be better off with separate amps.

joshg
Unregistered guest
Guess I'd better go with seperates. Right now I'm running my subs off a 250 Watt MTX amp and my other speakers off the deck and its not nearly enough volume. Probably need to feed my main speakers about 75 watts per channel and my subs 600 to 800 watts before I'll be happy. Maybe I'll get that Kicker 350.4 amp I was looking at then find a good Class D amp for my subs.

josh

Gold Member

Post Number: 1493
Have you seen Zapco, Orion, PPI, and Xtant? They produce very nice amps for your components.

joshg
Unregistered guest
I haven't looked at them lately. That Kicker 350.4 I can get for $130 off ebay. The amp is supposed to be brand new and the Factory Birth sheet shows it putting out 393 watts.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1496
I'll give you one suggestion. When it comes to components, you will want to use a good amp to power them. You see, to reproduce mids and highs as close to the original as possible, a good quality amp is required. If not, you will get some flat mids, and highs that sound like one note or very thin. If you ever compare cheap amps with a good quality one, you will notice the drop/change right away. Bass is however a little harder to detect. This is why I recommend good amp for components.
There was PPI's 404.2 Art series amp on sale before. It was 4 channels and it will sound at least 2x better than Kicker/RF amps. It was on sale for $160.

joshg
Unregistered guest
Should I go with a 4 channel amp or just get an amp for my components. I want to build more a a SQ system and not an SPL system. All my other cars that I've done installs on before were Pontiac Fiero's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1502
If you're not planning to have surround sound system, then go with the best possible amp for the front. Most of the stereo imaging comes from there.
I have 4 channels cause my HU supports DTS/Dolby Digital and Prologic II.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us