Question on my infinity components

Bronze Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 36
I have a pare of infinity component's and wen you turn the it up they sound like they are distorting on just the s's. Like in a song wen the say a word that has a s in it it sounds more like sh insted of an s. Hope that made sense. Could I have the treble turned up to much or what?

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 45
Also has anyone else had this problum?

Silver Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 123
Could you give us more information on how your components are set up for example are you running them off of a deck or do you have an amp?

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 64
Sorry, they are powered by the Rockford p4004.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 65
I think they are getting like 100 watt's rms.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7261
that sounds like distortion caused by clipping.
either the amp gain is set too high, or the speakers are bottoming out and the amp's HPF needs to be set a bit higher, like around 125Hz.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 68
I hope it isn't clipping! I don't know if this matters or not but if I am listening to it wen it is doing it, then I turn the treble down and it almost stop's it. I would leave the treble down, but the treble is turned down so much that it is no longer loud anymore, and defeat's the purpose. So maby it is the hpf?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2971
Which Infinity components are they? Also, how do you have them installed?

Anonymous

I have the exact same problem with my Polk DB650, the "S" sound more like shisssss. I'm not using and AMP yet but I have ordered one hoping that it will make a diference. If not I'm planing on returning the speakers and get another brand.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 84
I didn't buy them my dad did, and I can't find out what they are. I will keep looking. I had them installed at a shop, if that is what you are asking? Is there any to tell witch component's they are with out have the box or anything?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2974
Look at the crossover. It'll say the series, it'll be either Reference, Kappa, or Kappa Perfect. By install, I meant the location of the drivers themselves, such as tweeters being in A-pillars, dash, etc.

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 89
They are in a chevy extended cab, and the 6.5 is on the bottom of the door, and the tweeter is like where the windo and door lock switches are. Just a little down from them!
I can't explaine it that good... so if you understood that, you are a genious:-)

The truck is a 1998 1500 z71 if that gives you any idea, and I will check to see what component's they are!
Thank's for all the help!

Bronze Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 90
Crossovers? Where are they?
I don't know anything a bout speakers... I just know a little on sub's and amp's!
Sorry agen for the retarded questions.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 2980
The crossover comes before the speakers, you'll need to trace the wires from the amp to the speakers to find them. If it was professionally installed, I'd hope they didn't install the crossovers in the door without making some form of drip shield.

Username: Nwdmax

Post Number: 4
I'll attest to the drip shield since my pass door crossover was corroded and ugly.
It cuts in and out and the dealer that did the install had no drip protection at all.
I'm replacing and adding a shield.
Whats the best way to do this?
Sorry about hijacking your thread.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 130
My speakers are the INF60.5cs Kappa's! I looked it up on the website where they were bought!So I don't know about the drip thingy!
I had them in stolled at ultimint electronic lol or how ever you spell it:-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3010
First off, the crossovers (if you find them) allow you to cut the tweeter by 3 db. You should try that and see if it helps. If that doesn't produce the results you want, experiment by either moving the tweeter closer to the mid, or angling them a little away from your ears, more off axis. Reverse the tweeter wires as well, it can help by a large amount by making the drivers blend together better(depending on install). Your treble may very well be turned up too high, and it is likely frequency specific. If your equalizer offers it, try turning down the treble in the 5khz-8khz range and see if it helps. It may also be upper midrange, which is around 2-3khz, but since you said turning the treble down helped, I'm assuming it's the tweeter.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 131
"cut the tweeter by 3 db?" What does that mean? Yes it is the tweeter, you can tell if you get close to the speakers, the 6.5's don't do it just the tweeters!

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 132
My head unit is the Premier DEh-p660 if that help's.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3012
The crossover has a -3db setting, meaning it adds resistance so that the tweeter is 3 db quieter. All you do is move the tweeter positive wire from the normal + terminal to the -3db terminal. It'll tone down the tweeter a tad. If I remember correctly, that Pioneer head unit has a 3 band parametric EQ and also separate bass and treble controls. Try setting the Parametric treble center frequency (I'm assuming you know how to do that, if not, it's in the owners manual) to around 8khz and start from there. Turn down the treble by a certain amount (whatever produces good results) and then adjust the Q it to your liking. If 8khz doesn't work, then set the treble control (EQ-EX function) to 6khz, and adjust from there. With those settings, you should be able to get results you'll like. I recommend you try the other stuff first, though.

Silver Member

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 133
Ok I'll try that, hope it works! Thank's for the help, you have helped me out a lot!

Bronze Member
Username: Machman

Post Number: 26
This is also quite helpful:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary.htm

good luck! ;-)

Anonymous

Thanks alot for the message man
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help