US Amps vs Orion.

Bronze Member
Username: Avalanche

Post Number: 98
I know that people here love Orion. So the question to all here is What is a better line.
Watt per Watt in true RMS. I would like to know what people think specially Isaac.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 452
well new Orion there is no compatition. US amps are very well made USA built amps. Older Orion HCCA model's are arguably one of the best amps ever made. The problem now with Orion is they were bought out by a company named Directed Electronics, and now all of their equipment is manufactured in china so you dont have the hand made craftsmanship in the new amps like they used to. I would buy US amps,Arc Audio,Zapco,Zapco Reference,PPI(art series), Orion(HCCA), and Isaac and Jonathan say Tru Technologies is very good but I have no expierience with them. With any of those amps you can't go wrong. You have to remember though most of those amps I named are quite pricey.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1328
If I had a choice between US Amps and Orion HCCA G4 amp, I'd pick G4 cause of pure power and price. US Amp is a great amp but at a high cost.
If you haven't listend to Orion G4 amp, try one. It's the most under rated amp ever. Don't let 50w rms x 2 fool you.

deon g
Unregistered guest
do u know where i can get a hcca 225 for 150 and under

Gold Member

Post Number: 1341
That'll be pretty tough cause the ones that know about HCCA amps will buy them up. I bought 3 of them so far.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1342
Try eBay or google.

deon g
Unregistered guest
will u sell one of yours issac or trade amps(possibly with cash)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1344
Sorry, I can't. I had to search everywhere for mine. I will however let you know if the guy I bought from has some more. He has 2 more right now but James Longo might buy both, if not you can buy the other one.
Look under the thread "Sound quality" for further info of the amp.

deon g
Unregistered guest
i have a punch 601s and i was willing to trade but since not let me know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 100
So the bottom line is that Orion HCCA the old style red Amps are what to look for if you are worried about price. Now the problem is what happens when you blow an Amp which I think most people have at one point or another.

I have no experience with Orion Amps my self.
I am currenlty running all US Amps in my truck and I wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on the comparison.

You are right about US Amps and the other lines that you mentioned. Some stores will try to charge you any where from .50 cents a watt to almost 1.00 dollar per what So as far as US Amps being expensive that is very true. I was introduced to the line 5 years ago and have tried to stay with only that. I have experience with PG, Alpine, Planet Audio, Crunch, Power Acoustic, MTX, Prestige, Hifonics which I just found that are not that bad for the price not bad at all. but I keep going back to US Amps In My experience they are bullet proof. I have pushed them to the max and they might have shut down to cool down but they keep comming back for more. I guess I will always be a US Amps fanatic. Or untill they screw up the line. But I wanted to see why Orion was pushed so hard here, especially when it is almost impossible to find the original equipment that gave it the name and reputation.

As far as US Amps I would say build a relationship with a authorized shop and they will usually cut you a good deal on the line. But it took me over 1.5 years to save to buy all of my amps.
I am currently running
1 US Amps 400 x2
1 US Amps 4360x4 tube Amplifier which sound Beautifull.
1 US Amps 200x2
and last but not least is the US Amps 3000 for my subs but I need to buy a HO alternator before I put this monster in because is needs 450 Amps to give you the true brut power for competition. So I need a HO Alternator and atleast 2 more optimas. I would say if you like the line it will not let you down just save for it because it will cost you.

And for the people that answered thanks for your thoughts. I know car audio is very controvertial because it is alot of what people preffer. and the industry does not help by putting equipment that is rated at PEAk watts versus true RMS.

Any additional comments are well appreciated and thanks for taking time to read this post.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1351
US Amps are a great product. I was going to buy one before but didn't have the cash. If you love US Amps, then I am sure you'd like HCCA amps also. They are designed in a similar way. Built and crafted in USA. It is one of the very few Orion did a great job on. In spec wise, it's right up there with top brands.
Deon G, did you read the thread on "Sound Quality" yet? If James doesn't want both you probably can have the 2nd one.
Also on eBay, there's PPI's Art Series amp, 600.2. It is a very nice amp, almost in the same quality class as HCCA. Right now it's going for $117. You should try and get that. I have that amp also.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 496
well you are very right about everything you said in my opinion. US amps is very good equipment I just recently purchased a US DE-1000. You definetly have good taste. You are also right about the more commonly known brands that you mentioned although not bad at all they arnt the quality of A few other top notch companies. Yes car audio is very contoversial and opinion start flying around. The thing that many companies have been doing by putting their peak power on products to lure the lesser known consumer into buying shouldnt be legal in my opinion. Every company should be mandated to post their RMS rating not peak. Your also right about the older Orion HCCA's and how can we push a line of amps so hard that the company doesnt even make anymore. The problem is that alot of the good quality stereo comanies from the later 80's and early to mid 90's have been bought out by bigger companies and moved over seas and mass produced for a fraction of the cost. So the quality USA built hand craftsman ship went straight down the tubes. So there are a few more memories laying around of these once power house amps layin around but they are becoming far and in between. such as the Orion HCCA series and the PPI art series also the Rockford Fosgate power 300,650,and 1000 from that era as well. thats really all I have to say about this I guess and you made very valid points. Best of luck with finding a alt big enough to power all that nice equipment you have there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1352
Deon G, I just checked eBay and they have Orion 2250SX amp. It's a very good model. You should bid on it right now. It'll be over in 3 hours.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 498
that amp is amazing. Thats the one I was telling you about the other day. "The beast"

deon g
Unregistered guest
is it worth payin 130 for a orion hcca 225

deon g
Unregistered guest
i need to know by 9:30 tonight cuz that is when it end

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
Thanks for all of the remarks.
I have been in this industry as a consumer and installer private installer for 4 years now and one thing that I hated was that it took me having to go to over 40 stores to get good answers on products and installation and not get sold on the latest deal that they were selling on average equipment that they were charging top dollar for because it was the best in the market and no one could touch it with a ten foot pole.
Well once I found out that nobody wanted to touch most of this stuff with a ten foot pole it was for a reason.

I have made mistakes and I learned alot by trial and error. I dont like to admit what I know and dont because sometimes I think it is just best to listen and compare versus shooting off the deepend and reallizing your wrong.

I will say this I have enjoyed this site alot because I have been introduced to alot of new product Ideas and people that have similar goals.

So Thanks again for your inputs and lets keep this site going.

Sincerely
Henry.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 511
cool Henry, Hey deon what are you using it for? I will try to help you out before 9:30 if you respond.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1354
HCCA 225 is a great amp but if it's G4 or competition series, it's even better.
The old 225 needed a bridging module to bridge.
Why don't you try HCCA 250R instead? It's 2x the power of 225.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1355
Nevermind the 250R, that model had issues in the past. However, there's another 250 on eBay.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 515
you dont need me you got the "Orion man" to help you out

deon g
Unregistered guest
i have one 12 logic sound lab 2000 rms 400 max and i have a punch 601s right now any ideas

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 518
yeah I read the same thing about the 250r that they burned up alot. Why not buy that 225 g4 I really dont need it all I want s the 250. So if you want ot Isaac hook him up.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 519
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796%26item%3D5749209084 %26%26 very nice amp.

deon g
Unregistered guest
i think it is the regular 225 tell me i just won it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5747652631&ssPageName=ADM E:B:EOAB:US:6

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 525
link didnt work

deon g
Unregistered guest
i think it is the regular 225 tell me i just won it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5747652631&ssPageName=ADM E:B:EOAB:US:6

deon g
Unregistered guest
sorry try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D5747652631&ssPageName= STRK:MEWA:IT

deon g
Unregistered guest
do u know where i can get a bridging modeule

Gold Member

Post Number: 1356
None of your links worked. Bridging module will be hard to get cause the people that have it, won't sell it. You can still get 400w rms from it in stereo mode.
James did I tell you that 225G4 comes with phase shift switch? Normally that's available in a class d sub amp. With that switch you can sync your rears or subs with your front. This is why I said G4 is one of the best amp for the money.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1357
None of your links worked. Bridging module will be hard to get cause the people that have it, won't sell it. You can still get 400w rms from it in stereo mode.
James did I tell you that 225G4 comes with phase shift switch? Normally that's available in a class d sub amp. With that switch you can sync your rears or subs with your front. This is why I said G4 is one of the best amp for the money.

deon g
Unregistered guest
it is item number 5747652631
on ebay

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 533
yeah thats a really nice feature. My head unit acually has that as well, time correction. I cant wait to get that amp man I hope it all works out. I was bidding on that 2250 last night and lost it with 2 seconds left by $5 I was so mad but what are you gonna do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
I've been there too. Nothing like losing a bid by $1 or less cause someone decided to "steal" the bid at the last second.

deon g
Unregistered guest
so is the amp it the regular or comp. plus i heard u can make the bridging module DIY if so how hard is it

Gold Member

Post Number: 1365
Deon, you got a great deal on that amp. It's the competition series. You might want to email the seller if it required a bridging module. Sounds like you will need one.
Instead of trying to use that amp for the sub, you should try powering your components.

deon g
Unregistered guest
some one told me( i dont know if its true) but the more sub i but the harder it will hit because its breaking the omhs down so it will be better if i run like 4 10s or 3 12s. is this true

Gold Member

Post Number: 1368
That is not true. Breaking down speaker ohms will not make your bass louder.
By using more subs, you're basically lowering the ohms and increasing the total power. You can only lower so much before the amp overheats and breaks down.
You always have to match the speaker ohms with your amp. You probably noticed that some amps have 3 power ratings, one for 4ohms, 2ohms and 1ohm. All you're doing by getting more subs is matching the amp's speaker ohms to get max power.
Of course having more subs means it'll sound louder cause you're moving more air.

Silver Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 553
no that is not true.if you get 1-dual 2 ohm voice coil 10 or 12 you can run it at 1ohm or 4 ohms you dont need multiple subs to bring down impedence levels. I am getting the same amp and I am going to run 1-Adire Brahma 15 dual 2ohm voice coil at 1 ohm with it. Rated at 800 watts @ 1ohm at 12 volts should be more like 1100 at 14.4 volts.

deon g
Unregistered guest
so what if i do thatto that hcca since that can be broken to .5 ohms and if i run a crossover and eq like i do on every system i have( i know a little bit cuz i got a logic ex1200{2000 rms 4000 max} on a RF punch 601s ) issac or anyone

Gold Member

Post Number: 1370
You'll get 400w rms at least and very clean sound. Hook it up and test it. You should be very pleased with the result.

Username: Mkdsctt

Post Number: 7
how much do you think the hcca250 would put out into a 2 ohm load? at 12 volts? at 14.4 volts?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1396
HCCA 250 will put out 400W rms @ 2ohms and 800W rms @ 1ohm. This is all rated at 12v. At 14.4v, you might get extra 100-200W.
I haven't tried it yet cause it's already too loud.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us