Alpine 9833 vs Premier P8MP vs Eclipse CD8454

Julie Lee
Unregistered guest
Hi guys, I am looking for a new MP3 head unit for my Miata, and am trying to decide between these three units. I was wondering which head unit would give the clearest sound for rock, rap, and house music? I am not really interested in hooking up any subwoofers, and I will only install an amp if it makes the sound more crisp...not for loudness.
I have seen the Pioneer head units at Best Buy, but found the displays really cheesy (kind of like 8-bit Nintendo)--is the Premier P8MP display anything like this, or can I tone it down for a simple, cleaner display?
I have only seen pics of the Alpine and Eclipse head units, and I like the way the Alpine *looks* out of the 3, and the Eclipse the least. However, I am more interested in knowing which has the best sound out of the box running straight to two 6.5" Bose's. Does anyone know where I can see these head units in person in northern Virginia/DC/MD?

Thank you in advance,
Julie

Username: Tygger

Post Number: 6
Circuit City carries a lower model Alpine (maybe the 9827). I know Myer Emco (Off of West Ox or Bailey's Cross Rd) carries the higher end Alpines and Pioneers. As for the Eclipses, check out the yellow pages for local audio places and give them a ring...

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 297
All 3 are good decks, However IMO the eclipse is the better deck. That model alpine I would put in second.

jigga666
Unregistered guest
ok..well im not gonna read off all the specs to you on those 2 decks jeremy but, the better deck would be the alpine. its not really an opinion thing its more of a which deck is really better...and that alpine deck is much better overall than the eclipse, even though the eclipse deck is extremely nice.

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 306
Alpine 9833
60W MAX x 4 V-Drive Power Amplifier

6-Channel Digital Time Correction

6-Position HP/LP (24dB/Octave) Digital Crossover

5-Band Parametric EQ

3-way or 2-way electronic crossover with
adjustale slope

Regulated 1Bit DAC

3 PreOuts (4 volt)

Eclipse 8454
50W x 4

Time Alignment (Delay times can be adjusted independently for each L and R High, Mid and Low speaker)

An electronic crossover function offering user-selectable speaker crossover points and adjustable filter slopes

two-channel 13-band equalizer

Parametric EQ / Mid (63Hz -- 16kHz) and Hi (200Hz -- 16kHz) frequency bands with bandwidth adjustable in three increments allow precise tonal contouring.

24-bit DAC with a 116dB dynamic range

preamp output of 8 volts

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Arlington, Tx

Post Number: 311
the eclipse deck is the clear best out of those 3,
the alpine is 2nd but for the price is probably a better buy

i dont know much about the premiere but i hear they are pretty good

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 2919
"ok..well im not gonna read off all the specs to you on those 2 decks jeremy but, the better deck would be the alpine. its not really an opinion thing its more of a which deck is really better...and that alpine deck is much better overall than the eclipse, even though the eclipse deck is extremely nice."

You need to actually use these decks before spouting out an opinion like that. All of them are great, and really it's open field as far as what he might like. The Eclipse offers a whole lot more than the Alpine does for the money, you really can't beat it as far as tunability and sound quality for the money. Specs sheets vary a lot between manufacturers, don't rely on them.

Username: Audio_fanatic

Mukilteo, Wa

Post Number: 6
I would go with the alpine cda 9833, but i might be a bit biased since i own one.....

Silver Member

Kunsan AfbSouth Korea

Post Number: 329
Thanks Jonathan

Username: Noirluispher

Post Number: 2
Dan, I am about to install the 9833 and I was wondering if you hooked up the amp straight to the battery or did you use the harness to get the unswitched power to the unit?

Username: Tygger

Post Number: 7
I ran my power directly to the battery and also grounded directly to the chassis as oppose to the ground from the harness.

Unregistered guest
The P8 isn't quite worth the money Pioneer expects for it. It's EQ is barely sufficient, which is surprising for a pioneer premier unit. The sound isn't bad, and the control set up is nice, but you can do much better for the money.

I'm also a bit biased towards Alpine because I own a CDA-9835(great unit if you have the $$$ by the way). The 9833 is nice, not as full an EQ as I'd like to see, but still sufficient for most users, and what it lacks in EQ control it makes up for in sound quality. Without subs, all the Bass Engine controls won't be taken full advantage of, but they still work well to shape sound from smaller internal speakers.

The Eclipse is theone of these three I have the least experience with, having only gotten to goof around with it for a few minutes, but it's not so bad. The EQ and internal crossovers are nice to have, but most people won't take full advantage of them unless they've got some great ears and really know exactly what details they're listening for. Might be a bit confusing to get used to all the sound shaping, not to mention it gives the price a not so nice increase.

If I can throw an opinion out there, the Pioneer DEH-P8600MP is also a very nice unit, can be found online for a price comparable to the other units you mentioned, and is a very good unit in it's own right. The EQ and crossover goodies are all there, very nice full color animated display, nice clear sound, and all in a relatively easy to use package. The graphics help a lot with adjustments, helping you visualize things a bit better than just numbers. If you're 3 choices aren't carved in stone, the 8600 might be a very good alternative to them...

Unregistered guest
I own a CD8454. I've owned Kenwoods, Alpines, Pioneers, etc... Believe me Eclipse Kicks butt! I own a 2004 Trailblazer. It spots 4 6-1/2" MBQuart Components, a 12" L7 Kicker woofer, a Phoenix gold 4 channel amp for the components (125w x 4) and a Hyphonics for the woofer (1000w @ 1ohm). Add-ons are an Epicenter bass processor and a 1.5 farad cap.
Before the Eclipse I had the 9833 and I liked it, but I got the 8454 for Xmas (special thanks, to my wife). I installed it Dec the 25th my self and I could not believe my ears...the sounds is much louder AND clearer AND cleaner. The online cutsomization (via the memory stick slot in the unit) makes the truck sound loud as hell and clear as in a studio. 13 band graphic eq, parametric EQ, Harmonizer (GREAT FOR MP3 recorded discs or memory sticks), hability to record your CDs in the memory stick, etc... I mean it just kicks rear... I'd never go back to Apline again... If Eclipse keeps up such headunits, I will stick with them...
I hope this is enlighting, Eclipse es MUY bueno.

P.S.
everything is connected to an independent circuit directly to the battery and everything grounded directly to chassis.

james r. jones III
Unregistered guest
I have had all the big names in the last 25 years and I always come back to Alpine. Quality, real features that you can use and cosmetics are always top notch. Sound quality, what can you say, I'm sure they have been in more sound off winning cars than anyone else. Ecclipse are o.k, but I have had a few problems internally, pioneer is rock solid but SQ is not as good as Alpine, Nakamichi breaks regularly, kenwood has been ugly lately and Sony just xplods... no literally. Alpine from now to eternity, there will be no other...........

mezpo
Unregistered guest
Ive own the Alpine 9813 (last years model) and my brother owns both the Alpine 9815 and a mid level eclipse deck I believe its the 5423. Ive also owned clarion and sony in the past. The eclipse decks destroy the alpines for sound quality. I love my alpine but there is absolutely no way you can say the alpine will sound better. Especially when you are looking at the 8454. The 24 bit DAC makes a big big difference in sound quality. Also, to answer one of your other questions yes an aftermarket amp will help with sound quality but again it makes a big difference which amp you are looking at.

OCBill
Unregistered guest
Most specs don't mean much in terms of sound quality. A lot of the best home amps have THD around .5% and as high as 1%, and they sound stunningly better than the .001% THD units. The internal amps in head units are frequently below the minimum recommended power for most better speakers, esp since the numbers you see are frequently peak numbers not RMS. If you're shopping these head units, you should be matching them up with good speakers. You should also listen to anything you're thinking about spending this much money on. I've heard the Eclipse 5444 (the model just below the 8454), the Alpine 9831, 9833, 9835, the Pioneer 8600, and the equivalent Premier. They all sounded very good, but to me, the 9833 and 9835 sounded the best. But unless you're planning to buy one for me, what I like doesn't really matter. Go listen for yourself.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3151
"Most specs don't mean much in terms of sound quality. A lot of the best home amps have THD around .5% and as high as 1%, and they sound stunningly better than the .001% THD units."

You couldn't be any more right on that one. McIntosh Labs had a home amp years ago that had 10% (NOT a typo) THD. It was one of the most highly regarded amplifiers out at the time. Really if you were to turn all processing off on these head units and do a blind comparison of these decks with the same amount of power and distortion levels being below clipping level, I'd put money down that nobody on this thread could tell a difference. Once you get to clipping levels and the verge of clipping, THAT's when the head units/amplifiers begin to shine, mainly due to the power supply, aka headroom.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us