Amplifier for Boston Z's?

Username: Gromitcat

Annapolis, Maryland USA

Post Number: 3
Yesterday I had a chance to hear both the MB Quart Componants and the Boston Z's and I've decided to go with the Z's. They recommend using an amplifier from 20-400 watts. What amp would you guys recommend? I would like the system to be as loud as possible with as little distortion as possible. I listen to a lot of Tori Amos, but also a lot of The Clash and Bad Brains. I'd like to get an 800/2 channel amp, if possible, if you can recommend a good one.

Also, the stats say the impedance is 3 ohm, how does that work when I look at perspective amplifiers???

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3133
Most amplifiers will show a rating at 4 ohms and 2 ohms, so you'll have to choose an amp based on what falls in between the two. For example, and amp that does 200x2 at 4 ohms and 400x2 at 2 ohms will do approximately 300x2 at 3 ohms. A Kicker KX850.2 (or the older 800.2) or SX900.2 will work well, as well as the Zapco Reference 750.2. A lot of it depends on how much money you can spend, there are many great amps out there.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3134
Those Z's are fantastic speakers, too, good choice on those.

Bronze Member
Username: Runthunter

Post Number: 24
You should have bought two sets and then gave me one.

Username: Gromitcat

Annapolis, Maryland USA

Post Number: 4
For the amp I'd like to keep the cost to $1,500. I'd like to get something very good to go with the good speakers. But again, I'd like to send as close to 400 watts to each speaker as I can. Do you know of anything I can buy currently that will fit the bill?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3140
$1,500 is more than enough to spend for that much power. I'd personally go with an Arc Audio 2500 XXK, that is an EXTREMELY good amp. Look into TRU technology amps as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us