Would diff. ohm value affect SQ?

Bri.
Unregistered guest
hey guys, im looking for subs to get and have so far been looking into 4 ohm DVCs.. i keep debating with myself whether to get a 2 or 4 ohm DVC..since i've got a set budget and can mostly afford a 200-300Watts amp only and one 12" sub. It would really help me to get the most out of an amp if i got a 2 ohm. But i read somewhere that 4 ohm subs had better SQ over 2 ohms..
Short story: Shuld i get one 12" sub DVC at 2 or 4ohms if i can only run 1 sub off of 1 amp.Would wiring in different configurations affect the overall bass SQ?

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 360
no it wont effect the bass,SQ but it will effect how much power your amp puts to your sub. If you are running 1-sub I would prob go with dual 4ohm but I dont know what amp you have or are looking at. That would be helpful.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1298
If you're planning to use only 1 sub, then get 2ohms DVC. If you wire that in series, you'll get 4ohms. Amps that are 4ohms stable bridged are much cheaper than 2ohms or 1ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3119
Amps running a higher impedance have more headroom, less distortion, better S/N ratio, higher damping, etc. Whether you'll actually hear a difference is what is arguable, but it's safe to say, from a technical standpoint, that you'll get better SQ by running a higher impedance aka 4 ohms. Of course, when you run a 4 ohm bridge, the amp "sees" a 2 ohm load and performs as such.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1312
Hey Jonathan, for your next upgrade, you might want to look at Arc audio. Their amps at least on paper, blow Zapco away. I was bidding lastnight one one of Arc's 4 channel amp but lost it cause the a$$ made a bid last minute at 3am. I wasn't going to stay awake allnight. The damping factor was >2300, slew rate was >40uv, SN >113. What an amp.

Bri
Unregistered guest
Thanks all for the replies..very much appreciated :-)
I think i'm gonna go fer the 4 ohms just for peace of mind..heh Later guys and thanks again.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3138
I've looked into Arcs amps, fantastic amps. They're designed by Robert Zeff, same guy that started Zapco. I figured they'd surpass Zapco one of these days since Zapco lost their founder/engineer :-) It's probably going to be a while until I begin this project, I'm about to get the car, but I've got some odds and ends to do to it before I dedicate my finances into the system.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3139
Have you seen TRU technology's amps, BTW? Those amps are extremely good as well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us