Soundstream vs JBL

Username: Ethan68

Post Number: 1
Can someone please help me decide on which 4 channel amp to get to power 4 Boston Z6. I'm thinking of JBL Px300.4 or Soundstream VGA500.4 or Soundstream TRA960.4 (new model from the Tarantula series).

I'm also thinking of using either the JBL Px600.2 or BPx500.1 or Soundstream TRA560.2 or VGA600.2 to power JL 12W6v2 subwoofer.

I'm looking for top sound quality. Thank you all in advance.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 425
well both the amps you mentioned up top are good amps. I would go with the soundstream but I am partial to them because of their old equipment. That doesnt mean anything anymore but I still like them. As far as your sub you cant use the BP 500.1 because it will cook your sub, The VGA 600.2 isnt stable mono at 2ohms,the PX 600.2 is not stable mono @ 2ohms either and as far as the last amp goes I have never heard of it. I would get a good 400-500 rms at 2ohms. Try a JL 500/1 perfect match for that sub.

Username: Ethan68

Post Number: 2
Thank you for your comments, I received Soundstream's 2005 catalogue last week and the TRA series is an extension to the Tarantula series. It was placed in the pages after the HR2/4 and TR500/4 amps. They do not have the VGA's in the catalogue anymore, maybe they have stopped production for this line.

The spec for the TRA560.2 is 560x1 RMS bridged @ 4 Ohms, other specs are same as the VGA.

I know JL makes great sub but haven't heard much about their amps. Are they $$$? What price can I get it for?

By the way, are Boston subs any good? What about the JBL W12GTi sub? Or is JL the way to go? Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 434
well even that TRA 560.2 provided it is stable at 2ohms will be too much power for the JL 12w6v2. Boston subs have always been nice. I have never heard the w12GTI the only sub I have heard is there old GTI series and they were very loud. The JL amp is about $400 on ebay. I think in the right enclosure you will be very happy with the 12w6v2 as a matter of fact I have one for sale if you are interested.

Username: Fatass_tony

Post Number: 8
I have purchased a JBL BP600.1 600 Watt Class D Amp, and from the many reviews i read on it, it seems to be the most bang for the buck, i will have it in the next week, and cant wait to see how it performs, i will be powering a 750w RMS Pioneer Premier with it, so if you guys have advise on how to set it up correctly i would appreaciate it, the amp is 600 x 1 @2 ohm, and 600 x 1 @ 1 ohm stable, and the sub has a dual voice coil and can run at 2 or 8 ohms. Tell me what you think.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us